New Jersey Babies

Fear of NEEDLES!!

Does anyone else have this problem?  That's the only thing I think about and am nervous for.  For some reason, the IV doesn't bother me and I don't get weak watching the doc start an epidural on A Baby Story, but the actual needle thing..AHHH!  How do I get over this??  I know, it's menial, but I just can't get over the phobia!  It's been there since I was a child!  I pass out at the sight of it!  I know I'm not the only one!  If anyone else had that fear, how did you get over it??

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: Fear of NEEDLES!!

• If you are talking about the epidural you don't even see it.  When I got mine MH was sitting in front of me and my nurse was to my left and we just talked.  The weird thing was we were talking about the dentist...LOL!  It was all so fast and you don't even feel it as they numb your back in the area that they are going to put it. 

As for all the blood work that you have to get done...I would just look away and try not to think about it, but if I did think about it I just told myself that they have to do this to make sure my baby is perfect and that would get me through it.  

Good luck!  Also you can tell them that you have this fear and they will lay you down.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • i don't pass out, but i have severe panic attacks. i can't even watch it on tv or look at a hep-lock in someone's arm. this was the first thing that made me look into natural childbirth. after researching it, i know it's the best route for me. unfortunately, i tested positive for group b strep so i have to get an IV. if i had been negative, my midwives told me there was no need for a hep-lock or IV unless there was a complication/emergency. i'm coping with it by realizing that a little stick of a needle will help keep my baby safe & healthy. and that's the only needle i'm getting!!

good luck!!!

• Loading the player...
  • What works for me is to just look away and concentrate on something else when they are sticking in the needle.  As long as I don't see them put it in I'm ok and don't even feel it.
  • I hear you! I have had a serious needle phobia since I did a stint in the hospital as a toddler. It is different to have a phobia versus a regular fear. True phobias are not cured by looking away, I've tried that!

I had a fabulous OB in MI who was willing to work with me in overcoming the issue. She prescribed EMLA cream (essentially it's Lidocaine, a topical anesthetic) and gave me some practice with visualization and meditation to help with the nerves. Now I smear the cream on before I go to get a blood draw or injection. On the drive over or wait in the waiting room I'll meditate on something calming (I found that's the time I used to let myself get all worked up and panic). During the blood draw I don't feel a thing thanks to the cream, plus I look away and ask the tech to keep me talking while they work. Lots of deep breaths hep, too!

Best of luck to you! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"