Indiana Babies

Jac!

Someone on 12-24 posted about giving cough syrup to a toddler, and then a bunch of people responded that anymore, honey is more recommended than cough syrup for most people. (Not sure where they got this data...)

Anyway, I thought of you because certainly honey is BF-friendly! That is, if you can actually swallow it...

Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Jac!

• Sorry to hijack the post, but were they saying to give a one year old honey?  Cause my pedi says that's out until at least 2 years. 
  • I had always heard one year...

::off to check AAP recs::

• Loading the player...
  • As usual, I couldn't easily find the AAP actual policy, but per wholesomebabyfood, which quotes the AAP handbook:

A commonly asked question when it comes to foods for infants is about giving babies honey.  It is said that honey should never be given to a child under the age of 12 months old.   In fact,  The American Academy of Pediatrics advises that honey should not be added to food, water, or formula that is fed to infants younger than 12 months of age.  This technically, applies even to honey in baked or processed food goods. The AAP statement says "Raw or unpasteurized honey (Infants younger than 12 months should avoid all sources of honey)". AAP Pediatric Nutrition Handbook

• Lol.  She just told us at her 1 year check up to keep away from honey, PB, and shell fish still--until at least two years.  So I dunno.  All pedis say different things it seems.
  • imageMommaMcG:
    Lol.  She just told us at her 1 year check up to keep away from honey, PB, and shell fish still--until at least a year.  So I dunno.  All pedis say different things it seems.

Until a year? Then that's 12m. Or did you mean until two years?

We were given the go-ahead for peanut butter, too - recent studies have shown that unless there's a family history of peanut or tree nut allergies, it's usually fine after 1 year. I'll find the study (I know I read it for myself at some point)...

• I meant two years.  Ugh, I'm crazy exhausted today.  We are probably going to start PB at 1.5 years.
  • I can't find the abstract, of course. Sorry!

But you're SO right - every pedi seems to say something different. No wonder there is so much dang confusion among parents. I remember hanging out on the 0-3 board and there was so much disagreement because we're all getting mixed messages.

In a way, it makes it hard to be judgy about some parents' decisions. I said some. Putting Pepsi in your baby's sippy cup at Panera is not up for debate. Yes, I really saw that. Baby had to have been 9 or 10 months.

• imageNDwife07:

I can't find the abstract, of course. Sorry!

But you're SO right - every pedi seems to say something different. No wonder there is so much dang confusion among parents. I remember hanging out on the 0-3 board and there was so much disagreement because we're all getting mixed messages.

In a way, it makes it hard to be judgy about some parents' decisions. I said some. Putting Pepsi in your baby's sippy cup at Panera is not up for debate. Yes, I really saw that. Baby had to have been 9 or 10 months.

Indifferent  Yikes.

• For serious. I hate to bite my tongue.

Weird thing was - and this is going to make me sound totally judgy, which I probably am - is that she looked perfectly normal, and well-off even. Like, if I had to guess, I would have said she was a college-educated, upper-middle class mama based on the stroller and clothes she was wearing.

• Pepsi?!?!? really?!

my dr said 1 yr!  They all do it differently 

• Our pedi said 1 year for honey.  We tried some for Isabella's cough a couple weeks ago and she hated it. 

It's hard for me not to judge when I see people letting infants/toddlers sip from their pop, let alone putting it in a sippy.  Gross.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mmmm, honey. I'm pretty sure we have some local stuff here at the house. I don't know if I'd be able to swallow it straight up though. Water is even tough right now :-/ I'll have to warm up some tea and mix some in tomorrow morning. It HAS to get better! I tried cough drops to numb it a bit but I hate the taste - honey would be much more appetizing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"