Indiana Babies

About to hit the one year mark...

which means we need to take away the bottles. I'm concerned about the morning & night bottle. Any tips on a smooth transition? I'm nervous and randomly emotional about it. I dont know why but it makes me sad!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: About to hit the one year mark...

• a) totally normal to feel emotional about it!

b) you might be surprised in that she deals with it better than you think she will. when we dropped ella's night bottle, there were about two or three nights of her looking for it and crying a little bit, but then she got over it and we've never looked back.

good luck!

Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was terrified to give up the night time bottle, but we just gradually moved it and then one day replaced it with a cup.  He did great!

We just replaced one bottle every few days with a cup (nighttime bottle was last) and within a few weeks, he was bottle free.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageIU_baby:

I was terrified to give up the night time bottle, but we just gradually moved it and then one day replaced it with a cup.  He did great!

We just replaced one bottle every few days with a cup (nighttime bottle was last) and within a few weeks, he was bottle free.   

Ditto this.  And being emotional is totally normal.  Your baby is becoming a toddler not a baby and it is tough.  Toddlers are such fun though...there are many laughs ahed to look forward to!

• I was soooo nervous about taking the AM/PM bottles away. But he kind of just weaned himself to be honest. For the AM...we just started getting him up and giving him breakfast with a sippy of milk. That wasn't a big deal. I was more worried about the PM bottle...so I just kind of started letting the sippy of milk at dinner be his last 'bottle' for the night, but we would give him a sippy of water before bed while reading a story/rocking. That worked well for us. Sometimes he takes, sometimes not...but I don't really care because it's just water and he doesn't 'need' it to fall asleep. Oh, and being emotional = totally normal. I still miss the longer cuddle time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm totally going to miss the morning bottle...this is the only bottle that he sits calmly drinking and relaxing.  He already weaned himself from the night bottle....he just takes a 2oz bottle with his dinner.   :)

• It's totally normal to feel emotional.  Don't worry to much, and it is definitely ok to feel sad about a new step in your little one's life.

We failed miserably at the whole transition to sippy cup from bottles.  It was rough.  Mady flat out refused milk for 4 days if it wasn't in a bottle, and since weight was an issue, we caved.  I've heard many moms replacing one bottle at a time with a sippy and that has worked.  I hope you have a smooth transition!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"