North Carolina Babies
Options

Flu shot?

I just called and tried to sched DS in for a flu shot but got told by his Ped that they don't have them for privately insured patients. Has anyone else had this issue and if so where did you get your child a flu shot? This is the first I've heard of this. TIA!

Re: Flu shot?

• Options
    That is so strange! Did they say if they'd be getting any in? I've never heard that before, Maddie just got hers yesterday.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    They said they have them but only if you are on Medicaid. They said I wouldn't be able to find one anywhere for him including CVS, Walgreens etc. I thought it was really weird!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Some peds offices that take a high volume of Medicaid patients will only give them to Medicaid patients because the Dr.s office is guaranteed a certain amt of $$ vs. what they would get paid from private insurance. It sucks and seems a little wrong, but it happens.

That being said, you should have no problem finding a flu shot at a WalGreens or any pharmacy. They have signs out all the time about them and in fact when I went to pick up a prescription the other day they asked me if D and I had gotten ours.

There doesn't seem to be a shortage this year, not yet anyway. At least not that I've heard about! 

• Options

I find it odd that they would turn you away for any reason.  You would think that their #1 priority is the health of the kids.  Did you offer to self pay?

That being said, have you looked to your local Health Department?  They should have plenty on hand and even if you have to pay it should be minimal.

image Connor Reeves - July 4, 2007 Naomi Raye - January 26, 2011
  • Options
    I have never heard such a thing? My pedi was doing flu clinics, basically scheduling flu shots all day on certain days, we just got ours on Tuesday for Jocelyn and I got mine at my OB, no questions asked. We have Cigna insurance and it's never been an issue.
  • Options
    Thats really strange cuz i think when i went to Ds' 2 yr appt where we got his flu shot i feel like their sign said they didnt have them yet for medicaid patients. But I'd def. call the health deptartment and check to see when and where u can get one through them...im not sure if places like target and cvs will do young kids or not. my mom used to work for a company that did flu shots and they didnt do kids below a certain age. good luck!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Weird. Must be a reimbursement issue. We had no problems getting Zoe a flu shot at her pedi office. I think Walgreens and CVS have age limits and don't  give them to very young children; call and check. Otherwise, I'd call the health department or ask your pedi office where to get one.
  • Options
    we as pharmacists can't give them to patients under 18.  CVS minute clinic can though...try them!
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions. I don't mind self paying but they said they were holding all of theirs for Medicaid patients which I found odd since he got one there last winter no problem. I will call the CVS minute clinic today since there is one right near me. If they won't take him I will call some other peds since mine seems to be an anomaly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"