Indiana Babies

Christmas tree debate

We have been talking about getting a new artificial Christmas tree for years now.  My mom decided as our Christmas present that she would buy us a new one!  YAY!  We found one at a great price at Costco, so she got it.  When DH read the box he found a warning label that says "This product contains lead.  Keep out of reach of children.  Do not let them chew on it.  May create house dust that contains lead."

AWESOME.

First off, why the heck would they allow this to be produced with lead in it and no less sell it!  It's a Christmas tree for crying out loud!!!

Second, do you think I should be really worried since this label is pretty serious or is it just a CYA for the company?  Would you return it?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Christmas tree debate

• If I'm not mistaken all (or almost all) artificial trees have this warning. So do strands of Christmas lights.

Our lights, tree, and garland all have this warning and I'm honestly not concerned. I plan to make sure Ella doesn't eat it, and we wash our hands after we handle it.

Maybe that makes me too lax a mom, but since there doesn't appear to be another option, I just let it be.

Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageNDwife07:

If I'm not mistaken all (or almost all) artificial trees have this warning. So do strands of Christmas lights.

Our lights, tree, and garland all have this warning and I'm honestly not concerned. I plan to make sure Ella doesn't eat it, and we wash our hands after we handle it.

Maybe that makes me too lax a mom, but since there doesn't appear to be another option, I just let it be.

This.

• Loading the player...
  • Gosh, I guess our other tree is so old that it was before these labels were required!  :)

I should be more observant...

Part of me wants to return it but another part of me feels like the warning label is a little excessive.  I am sure there are plenty of things around the house that should have labels on them that just don't. 

• The labels like that that I've seen all refer to the State of California requiring the label. Maybe I'm too trusting, but IMO, if only one state requires it, it must not be that big of a deal.

Or maybe it is and I'm killing my family. :)

Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageNDwife07:

The labels like that that I've seen all refer to the State of California requiring the label. Maybe I'm too trusting, but IMO, if only one state requires it, it must not be that big of a deal.

This is the reasoning for it.   

Wash your hands after handling the tree and the lights and don't let your baby chew on the light strands.  You're not going to find a strand of lights now that doesn't carry that warning.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It seems like, after a little research, the main concern is older trees.  As they age they create lead dust which is the problem.  I guess that proves my point that I need to get rid of my old one!
  • I agree with Lauren.  Ours will be in our Den, and we have a gate up so that makes it easy :-)
  • Ditto what everyone else said.  Most all artifical trees, lights, garland, etc have the warning.  A lot of night lights have the same warning.  Just make sure LO isn't chewing on them, wash your hands after touching, and you'll be fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"