Oregon Babies
Options

Play for scientific advancement

Hi everyone,

I'm a first time mom and a researcher at OHSU. I've been participating in this study since my little guy was a few weeks old, and he's now 4 months. They need more babies to participate and it's reeeeeeeally easy to do; you basically come in to their nursery and they watch you play for about an hour!

The research is going to be geared towards finding out more about early indicators for detecting autism, but for now they need ALL babies on deck to get a good base of information to start with.

If you want to find out more (even if you're still expecting), Lauren at 503.748.1602 (or email infantstudy@cslu.ogi.edu) is the very sweet contact person. :) They will be so happy to see you (they LOVE babies)!!!!

FYI, it's taking place on the OGI campus in Beaverton, by the Streets of Tanasbourne mall, there's lots of free parking and you can bring siblings along, too.

Go play for the greater good!

Rachel & baby Henry

Re: Play for scientific advancement

• Options

Seriously, guys, this is such a worthwhile research study. I work there too and while I'm not working on autism, I know everybody that does and they are great! When my second baby is born in May I'll def. sign up for the study.   

• Options

I emailed them and my child is too old but here is the info that I was emailed.

Angela,
    Thank you so much for your interest in our research!
    In this study, we are observing  typically-developing infants and infants who have siblings with an autism spectrum disorder or another developmental disorder. We will be looking for differences in the development of basic behaviors that may be early markers of autism or of other developmental disorders. This study will use and develop noninvasive technology such as cameras, microphones, motion detectors, and movement sensors to look at early development.
    The study itself has two phases:
    1)Beginning when your baby is 0-6 months old, the two of you will come into the CSLU nursery for 2 visits a month for 6 months. Each visit is about 2 hours long. During these visits you will just naturally interact with your infant, doing the activities you normally do at home etc. There are also some more specific activities that the clinician goes through that address imitation, communication, etc.
    2)After the initial 6 month period, until your child turns 3, we would like to see you a few times a year just to track your child's development! Again these visits would be about 2 hours long.

The next step is to go through a screening questionnaire with you over the phone. Please feel free to call us at your convenience (503-748-1602) or provide us with a good telephone number and time at which to reach you.
    Thank you again!

Lauren 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This sounds really worthwhile.  I think I'll sign up when baby is born in january.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"