North Carolina Babies
Options

NBR: anyone know... gun/hunting related

i'm having issues with my neighbor again.  i've posted before about them firing guns off in their back yard in the middle of the night.

well it recently happened the other afternoon and i called the sheriff on them... who was not so helpful as he didn't know how far away they  had to be from a residence to fire a gun.... but admitted that they shouldn't be doing it right in their backyard (maybe 50ft away from ds's bedroom).

anyway i'm trying to figure out who to contact to find this information out.  i don't think they were hunting, if anything it may have been target practice... but i don't know.  they could have been fighting for all i know.  i don't feel comfortable approaching them to find out.  they're very very sketchy people and i try to keep my distance as much as possible.  

honestly, i would think the sheriff would know this information but the one that came out did not.  he said he'd have to contact the game warden to find out... and basically i'm trying to figure out if there is a county game warden or if this is a state run thing.  i'm not having much luck w/google.

i'd just like to know the actual regulations as far as this goes.  i live out in the county limits so i've heard that they can step outside their door and fire if they want to, but i have no evidence to back that up and i pray that is not the truth.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NBR: anyone know... gun/hunting related

• Options
    i may be wrong...but as long as they are on their own property, i don't think they are doing anything wrong.  granted it would scare me if i had a child nearby, but it's their property.  you could call the local firing range, they would know.
  • Options
    My IL's live outside of Asheville and DH grew up firing guns practically off his back porch. I think if you are outside the city limits and you are on your property, it's not illegal. I will ask DH for sure when he gets home--he is really educated on gun laws and such. That sucks for you guys though. I know I would not feel comfortable with that whatsoever.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers /">< imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

lala- that's what i was afraid of.  the sheriff went over to talk to them and tell them to keep it out in the woods, but i don't know if he was able to talk to anyone. 

there is a lot of hunting around here but people stick to the woods out behind our neighborhood.  it just scared the crap out of me, and the fact that they're sketchy on top of having a gun just makes me really uncomfortable.  esp since i'm home w/ds all day.  i mean i don't like the hunting behind our house but at least it's far enough away that it's not scary.  this was so close that it sounded like it was right outside our house.. and it basically was since our houses are close together.  

• Options

DH says look at the NC General Statutes. Around here you have to be (he thinks) 1000 ft from a residence to shoot, but that it can vary from county to county (and different if in city limits).

He also said the sheriff should have known that of all people...that maybe the sheriff that came out just doesn't want to deal with it...

GL! 

• Options
    imagejenwill:

DH says look at the NC General Statutes. Around here you have to be (he thinks) 1000 ft from a residence to shoot, but that it can vary from county to county (and different if in city limits).

He also said the sheriff should have known that of all people...that maybe the sheriff that came out just doesn't want to deal with it...

GL! 

that's what i'm sayin!!!  i really felt like the sheriff didn't feel like doing his job that day.  

off to google this general statutes for my county and see if i can find anything.  thanks!

• Options

https://www.ncwildlife.org/CommInfoContacts/Commission_LawEnf.htm

https://www.nccrimecontrol.org/

Maybe one of those organizations can help you or at least offer some kind of guidance...

• Options
    imageerin_aaronsbaby:

https://www.ncwildlife.org/CommInfoContacts/Commission_LawEnf.htm

https://www.nccrimecontrol.org/

Maybe one of those organizations can help you or at least offer some kind of guidance...

thanks!!!  i'm not having much luck w/the statues so i will try this!  i haven't seen the nc crime site before so i will check that out!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"