3rd Trimester

Newborn vs size 1 diapers

This might be a silly question, but being a FTM, I have to ask: 

If a baby weighs around 9lb plus when he's born, does he still wear a newborn diaper or size 1?

What is the biggest difference between newborn diapers and size 1 diapers? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Newborn vs size 1 diapers

• I think the newborn diapers are smaller.  If you have a 9 lb baby I'd go for the size one.  But you should get a package of NB at the hospital so maybe those would get you buy if the size 1's are too big still.
  • The newborn diapers have a notch cut out for the healing belly button and the size ones dont.  No real difference in size usually depends on the brand you buy.  They have size ranges on the package usually.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageRoseTor:
    I think the newborn diapers are smaller.  If you have a 9 lb baby I'd go for the size one.  But you should get a package of NB at the hospital so maybe those would get you buy if the size 1's are too big still.

That is a good idea.  DD was born 7 lbs 3 oz and at one year weighs right under 20 lbs.  She has been in size 3 diapers for months now.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS was 9.8 and still wore NB diapers and clothes for about a month. I think it just depends on the build of the baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was told newborn is meant for up to ( and including?) 8 pounds, after that they should fit size one.
  • DS was 10lbs at birth, but dropped down to 8lbs 4oz in the first week. He could fit into either NB or size 1. Both fit fine. We got a whole bunch of NB diapers from the hospital, but we didnt really need them.

I would suggest not buying NB diapers. You will get some from the hospital, and if you find that you absolutely need them because size 1 are way too big you can have DH run out and get some. Many people are never able to use them depending on the baby's weight/how they carry that weight and they go to waste.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Size 1 diapers are bigger than NB.  My first boy was 9lbs 6 oz and my 2nd was 8 lbs 13 oz, and both wore size 1 in the hospital.  The hospital I deliver at only supplies NB sizes, so my husband had to run out to buy a pack of size 1 even for the hospital.  Hope this helps.
  • imagerobs867:

imageRoseTor:
    I think the newborn diapers are smaller.  If you have a 9 lb baby I'd go for the size one.  But you should get a package of NB at the hospital so maybe those would get you buy if the size 1's are too big still.

That is a good idea.  DD was born 7 lbs 3 oz and at one year weighs right under 20 lbs.  She has been in size 3 diapers for months now.

Depends I guess....my daughter was 7lbs 4oz at birth.  At one year she was 20lbs 5oz and fits perfectly in Size 4 Pampers.

• dd was 8lbs 9oz at birth and was only in newborn diapers for about 2 weeks before going to size 1's. Like the pp said, I think it kinda depends on the baby....
  • my first daughter was 9 pounds exactly & she wore newborn diapers after she was born.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimage

Natural M/C at 7 weeks 9.17.08 Natural M/C at 7 weeks 2.1.13

• We never used NB diapers and DD was 7lb 6oz at birth.  The hospital just uses size 1 and folds down the front.
  • Newborn diapers supposedly go up to 10 lbs, but we switched to size 1 around 8.5 lbs.
  • My first was 7#5oz and we never bothered with newborn. Size 1 was just fine. better to be a little big than a little small, and you're a lot less likely to waste size 1 than newborn.
  • My DS weighed 9lbs4oz...he went straight into size 1...The NB size were too tight around his chubby little legs and rubbed at his circumsision.
  • Besides the weight difference, the other difference is that there's an umbilical cord cutout in newborn diapers that isn't there in size 1 (but you can just fold the diaper down if necessary).  My friend who has 3 kids told me to not buy newborn diapers because the baby may arrive too big to use them.  We got two packages of NB diapers at my shower - one of which I opened (so I could pack diaper bags) - and we bought one more package to be covered for a little while.  I haven't opened the other two packages in case I need to exchange them for size 1s!
  • So much depends on how your baby is built and the brand of diaper.  DD was 7 pounds 4 ounces and 20 inches at birth and about 12 pounds and 22.5 inches at 2 months.  She wore nb for 6 weeks, then about 1 week in size 1s before she needed size 2.  She's in size 3s now at 5 months and weighs roughly 16 and half pounds now.  We have used Pampers Swaddlers Sensitives from the beginning (it is what our hospital uses and we liked them). 

Personally, I wouldn't buy more than 1 package of each until your baby is born and you can better judge your needs.  Or don't open the packages--most stores will return them if they are not opened. 

• I think it depends on the build of your baby.  My daughter was 8 lbs 7 oz and wore size 1.  The hopsital I had her at told everyone during the tour not to buy newborn because they dont supply them they only have size 1.  The only babies that get newborn are nicu babies.  So I would ask your hospital had size the use. 
  • 9 lbs would be pretty snug in a newborn diaper.  I'd say size 1 at that point!  8 pounders can wear them but not too long!  It also depends on the length of the baby.  An 8 pound, 18 inch baby is much bigger around than an 8 pound, 21-22" baby!
  • My baby was 8lbs 2 oz when she was born and all the hospital had were size 1's. They were pretty big on her, too. She's 9lbs 2oz now and still in the nb size, though they're getting a little small. She still fits in some of her nb clothing, too, depending on the brandd.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"