Philadelphia Babies
Options

Help a South Florida Bumpie moving to your area!

Hello!

My husband recently accepted a position that will require us to relocate to the home office in Malvern by next September.  DH is originally from East Philly, so he is familiar with that area, but both of us have lived in South Florida for the majority of our lives.  By the time we move, our son will be just shy of 3, and our baby will be around 6 months old.  We plan on renting at first, but still want to find a nice area with great school districts if it becomes the area we settle down in.  I?m currently a working mom, but will be SAHM for at least the first year we are there; however, I will need to find a good pre-school for DS, as he will need to maintain the interaction.

The realtor sent us listings for the following areas: West Chester, Malvern, Chester Springs, Newton Square, Paoli, Exton, Wayne, Downingtown. The homes look nice, but I don?t know anything about the areas.  Any help, hints, suggestions and/or advice would be great! 

I look forward to any help you can offer in making this huge change for us (more me than DH).  It will be quite difficult to not be able to spend my weekends in Decembers wearing flip-flops!

Thank you ladies!

Photo courtesy of www.yaporiginals.com
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
It's Beshert

Re: Help a South Florida Bumpie moving to your area!

• Options
    You are moving to a terrific area as far as schools go. Tredyffin-Easttown School district is one of the top school districts in the state, as well as Great Valley, Radnor, and Lower Merion.  Your realtor is telling you to look in some great places. I'm not sure where you are in Malvern, but if you are looking for some good preschools for your son, Paoli Methodist and Good Samaritan are close by and have great reputations. It will definitely be a change from warm and sunny Florida, but hopefully you will learn to love it! Good Luck! :)
  • Options

imageGenaAndJosh:

The realtor sent us listings for the following areas: West Chester, Malvern, Chester Springs, Newton Square, Paoli, Exton, Wayne, Downingtown. The homes look nice, but I don?t know anything about the areas.  Any help, hints, suggestions and/or advice would be great! 

I grew up in Chester County and, honestly, I think any of those areas would be a great place to live.  Some are obviously more expensive than others and Downingtown, West Chester or Exton areas may end up being the most affordable (if that's what you're looking for).  The only thing about Downingtown is some of it is in the Coatesville School District and you might want to avoid that (although I went there and turned out a-ok, lol!).  I just know it has a bad reputation in that area even though it's more the town than the school that is not so good.  Overall, all of the areas you listed are great.  I think you'll definitely be able to find something.  Good luck!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I actually live in Newtown Square but grew up in Havertown (nearby town). All of those places are nice. I love Newtown Square--we are actually hoping to move soon but want to stay in this town (just a bigger house). I am not as familiar with the school districts in some of the places you mentioned, as they are a little further west from the area I'm most familiar with (for instance I didn't know about what the PP said about Downingtown), but I have friends with kids that live in almost every town you mentioned so I'm sure the schools are pretty good. Good luck and I hope you love it here!
  • Options

Congrats to you & your hubby! :)

My husband is from South Florida as well (we met in college at UCF) -- he moved here in 2007. You'll love it, I'm very excited for you!

I live in Montgomery County (about 30-45 minutes from the places you mentioned) but they are all beautiful with great schools. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBabyName Ticker
  • Options

Thank you ladies!  I'm coming up this weekend to check out neighborhoods; since I my OB does not want me flying after 30 weeks, I'm really going to keep my eye on areas I like, and then I will have to put the official house hunting into DH's hands. I know I'll learn to like it, and when I make some friends I will eventually learn to ove it....it's just a huge change for me, and I'm extremely nervous!

Photo courtesy of www.yaporiginals.com
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    It's Beshert
  • Options

Honestly- Look into King of Prussia area. The school district is good, close to Malvern- tons of stuff to do around the area with kids, reasonable taxes, nice homes, and really close to everything including all the major highways, not to mention a humongous mall.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Your realtor is guiding you well.  Those are all great places to live and you will have lots of choices for childcare.
  • Options
    I live in Montgomery County and I work in Wayne, PA.  The area that you are being directed to is just gorgeous!  You will love it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"