Baby Names

Matilda & Mathilde

Are these pronounced the same in English?

At this point, my questions may seem like they're so academic, but DH and I have exhausted the list of girls' names that sound good in both English and Spanish and are spelled the same in both. So I've moved on to names that have slight variations and *might* not be mispronounced/misspelled by the English-speakers or Spanish-speakers in our respective families.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Matilda & Mathilde

• And for the record, I still love Xiomara, but imagining my Southern MIL pronouncing this is like hearing nails on a chalkboard.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would pronounce them differently. Sorry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • imageanna7602:
    And for the record, I still love Xiomara, but imagining my Southern MIL pronouncing this is like hearing nails on a chalkboard.

Love the name, but agree that a Southern accent could butcher it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Nope. They're pronounced differently.
  • Yes. I THINK that Matilda is also pronounced muh-Teel-da and both can be pronounced Muh-Til-da.
    <Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers>
  • No, I would pronounce them Matilda and Matild.  No "uh" on the second one. 

Also, I have a friend from Sweden whose name is Mathilde and she pronounces it Mathild-ee, which is an interesting pronunciation!

• DH's German great-grandmother was Mathilde and her American-born children pronounce her name the same as "Matilda." I think that the French pronunciation is muh-TEELD, the German is muh-TILL-duh, and American English speakers would be tempted to pronounce the th.

We considered Mathilde for DD, but I worried about pronunciation too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"