School-Aged Children
Options

I am new. My son has a girlfriend!!!!

I am freaking out. She is nice and he is in high school and they have known each other since they were babies. Anyone been put in a similar place, Danny and Marie(his "gf") are 14. 

Re: I am new. My son has a girlfriend!!!!

• Options

I guess the best thing is the fact know her and know that they are boyfriend and girlfriend. Sounds like he is not hiding things from you. You should be very thankful for that. I found out last year that DD#1 who is 12 was girlfriend and boyfriend with two boys at the same time (she is not allowed to be dating yet) and I found out from the internet not by her.

As long as its not affecting his grades and he has had the sex talk then I say it is normal for his age since you did mention he is in high school. Try to encourage a healthy dating relationship with him. Don't let him know you are freaking out because that may lead to him not wanting to tell you things. Good luck :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

What an exciting (and nerve-wracking) time!  My DD is 10; she has always been friends with a mix of boys and girls.  This year is the first time she's expressed that she "likes" a boy in her class.  She feels that the boy also likes her back, but she does not refer to him as a boyfriend.

Maybe it's a good time to have a talk about what it means to be a boyfriend. What are his expectations about what that means?  What are yours?  What does he think his girlfriend's expectations are?  Especially since your son has been childhood friends with his girlfriend, it might be interesting to see what he thinks should/will change, now that they're "going together." 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"