Military Families
Options

Navy Vent </3 (long)

First, I will start off explaining I know what I got myself into (I figured I would hear that at least once lol). Okay anyways. So DH and I planned this baby because he is going to shore duty come Feb so we will be home without fear of being shipped out with a few weeks notice and can be there in case I go into labor earlier than expected. Well I got an email from him saying "hey by the way they can't let me off the boat now until April because we have a huge inspection." (Which I completely understand is his job) I was okay with that because he will be home for the last month of pregnancy and if I went early or something was wrong he would be home for it. Well this morning I wake up to a new email saying "Hey baby, I won't get off the boat until I week before you are due." Of course I lost it. (Like I said, I know I know, the military is never a guarantee) Most babies aren't born on the due date, and I probably am not lucky enough to get that :) I am hoping nothing gets pushed back even more but my hormones make me want to kill who ever is making him stay longer, but whats worse is he doesn't understand why I am so upset about it all... ugh! I hate trying to communicate through emails, its quite annoying lol. 

Well if you read all this thank you for listening to my vent, I felt like I wanted to lose it again and couldn't sleep! Enjoy your night! <3 

Re: Navy Vent &amp;lt;/3 (long)

• Options
    That sucks! But I think you get a doula for free if your hubs is deployed fir delivery. A small bonus right :)
  • Options

Is he deployed?  Or are they just extending his time with a deployable unit because of a few command related things?

I honestly wouldn't stress about it.  Two reasons:

1.  You have no control

2.  I have found that commands are pretty good about births of babies to the extent they can be.  If they are in port and just doing their everyday business I'm sure he will be there for you when you need him.

Chances are that everything will be totally fine and work out.  Just make a plan B that you are comfortable with. 

I can relate somewhat.  My DH is a test pilot in an EXTREMELY busy program right now.  He was flying 8+ hour days (and when he flies they don't stay local because of the nature of flight test) when I was 5cm+ dilated and 90% effaced (not in labor but right on the knife's edge).  We also have a 16 month old.  I knew that if I went into labor during the "work day" or any of his test flights that it was virtually a 100% chance that he would miss the birth.  The test program doesn't stop because I am expecting (and this is a shore tour) so I just made sure to have lots of friends and neighbors on call to take my DD and drive me to the hospital.

LUCKILY, they induced me a few days ago for "advanced dilation" and "baby's size" and my DH was able to be there. Phew.  But believe me, I know what it is like to not know whether you will go it alone.  Just get lots of support from friends and family and you will be fine.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I know how much it stinks, but try not to worry yourself until it truely becomes an issue.  When I was pregnant with my first child, the AF waited until I was 31 weeks preg to send DH on an 8week training that happens routinely throughout the year and he easily could have gone to sooner.  DH was due to get back 1 week before my due date and he mentioned to his commander that I was very pregnant and the training commander basically said that he better hope I don't go into labor or he would miss the birth because of the nature of the program.  At the time it seemed like a big deal, but I managed and ended up not having DD until 10 days overdue.  

Now that I'm pregnant with my 3rd and know for a fact that DH will be missing the birth and coming home to a 6 month old due to a deployment, I'm surprisingly ok with it.  I can't change the situation and getting upset about isn't good for me or the pregnancy.  I just have to come up with a plan b and move forward.  Life of the military afterall!!  

• Options

Try not to get upset and think about it now. With this whole sea duty navy biz, I learned that things change so frequently. It is so hard to get used to things being out of our control.

So even though today they might be staying later than planned, next week he may tell you he will be home a month early and then in one month he may be gone month longer....and so on. So think positive! And try not to worry until you get closer to your due date!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options

I'm sorry that your having to deal with this. But if it makes you feel any better most babies are born after they're due date! DH was set to deploy a few weeks after my due date so I was kind of freaking out towards the end. Fortunately I went into labor on my due date at midnight so he got to spend some time with DS before he left.

Don't stress about it now, it's not good for you or the baby. I'm sure that it will all work out in the end!

Married 5/29/09
    DS 8/10/2010 8lbs 6oz
    DD 11/28/2012 8lbs 7oz
    It's a Girl! Due 2/5/2017
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"