VBAC

Had my first OB appointment

I just had an appointment with my OB from the first pregnancy, who said that she would support me in a trial of labor for a VBAC, but that one of the OBs who regularly covers for her, and another one who occasionally does, will not attend a VBAC. My preference is to stay with my old OB.

As a result, I am considering staying with her and refusing a c-section if I arrive at the hospital and discover that the person on call will not attend the VBAC. I am not sure how crazy of an idea that might be.

I have health concerns, unrelated to the pregnancy, that makes delivering
outside of a hospital a bad idea. I have started calling other practices to see if I can find one where all of the OBs will be willing to attend a VBAC, and no one will talk to me without seeing my records.

I understand my legal rights to refuse a section, but I am wondering how difficult it might be to actually deal with this, while in labor.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Had my first OB appointment

• I could understand an OB not accepting a patient because they don't want to take on VBAC (even though I don't agree) but I'm just curious as to what could potentially happen if your regular OB can't make it....does this OB think that you're just gonna hop on the operating table and be rolled away after 9 months of preparing to VBAC?

I switched OB's within the same large practice and ended up with one I love, but he's in the same call group as my old OB.  My old OB pretty much told me I'd need another CS and wouldn't discuss VBAC any further.  When I switched to my new doctor he let me know that there was a slight chance that my old OB could be on call when I go into labor.  He pretty much told me that he would do everything within his power to attend my deliver no matter what time of night or day (or holiday - if I go late I'll be around Christmas).  He gave me his guarantee that he makes it his priority to get to all of his deliveries - especially when there are "special circumstances" such as VBAC (he is a young doctor so maybe some of that plays into his eagerness).  A lot of that reassurance, on top of his great track record with VBAC and natural birth helped me make my decision to switch to him.  Can you get some sort of reassurance that your OB will try to make it, even if its after hours and she's not on call?

• I am 102% sure they can not force you to have a c-section.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I was in this situation. My OB was very supportive but 2 of his 3 backups are not. I got one who is not (he says he is, but he only is if everything is picture perfect).

I was at 41wk 1day. It was the last day of my OB's weeklong vacation. I went into labor in the early evening and went to the hospital too soon (pressure from my mom and friend).

Anyway, the backup OB told me he wanted to do a c/s. He said he wasn't familiar with my case, thought it would be a big baby (because 1st one was large-ish, I was over 40wk and had GD), and because I had PIH last time (but not for 2nd pg).

I said "I won't agree to a c/s". He said "I understand. But you can't force me to do a vbac either." And I agree with that, in theory, he shouldn't have to do something he's not comfortable with. But where the hell does that leave me?

In my case, my OB came back on at 6am and then it was ok.

Here's my story in more detail:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/25074583.aspx

- Jena
  • imagejen5/03:

I was in this situation. My OB was very supportive but 2 of his 3 backups are not. I got one who is not (he says he is, but he only is if everything is picture perfect).

I was at 41wk 1day. It was the last day of my OB's weeklong vacation. I went into labor in the early evening and went to the hospital too soon (pressure from my mom and friend).

Anyway, the backup OB told me he wanted to do a c/s. He said he wasn't familiar with my case, thought it would be a big baby (because 1st one was large-ish, I was over 40wk and had GD), and because I had PIH last time (but not for 2nd pg).

I said "I won't agree to a c/s". He said "I understand. But you can't force me to do a vbac either." And I agree with that, in theory, he shouldn't have to do something he's not comfortable with. But where the hell does that leave me?

In my case, my OB came back on at 6am and then it was ok.

Here's my story in more detail:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/25074583.aspx

Thanks for sharing your story. It is a great one.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"