Overdue, emergency C-section delivery — The Bump
Birth Stories

Overdue, emergency C-section delivery

Im new to this website and I'm not really sure what all of the abbreviations mean. Sorry!

This is my first child and I was due to deliver on Sept 13th. As a first time, I had no idea what to expect and was so scared that I wouldn't know when I was in labor. Turns out I should have listened to my instincts.

Well, it was a few days after my due date and still no signs of baby, so I was all set to be induced the evening of the 20th. But starting Friday night, I had what I though was excess discharge. Until Saturday when we went apple picking and I literally had to stuff paper towels in my underwear because I was leaking so much. I asked my hubby, mom, and friends what they thought and they all said that if my water broke "I would know it." Well Sunday morning comes around and I completely soaked through an overnight pad, it was clear liquid.

I called my doctor and explained to him what was going on and told me to get checked at the hospital. At the hospital, they did a swab and came back 20 minutes later telling me that it was not my water that broke and that I must have been peeing my pants. I don't know any pee that is clear!!! After arguing with the nurse for a good 20 minutes, I had no choice but to leave.

Fast forward to Sunday night. I began having very intense contractions around 9 pm, I tried sleeping to no avail. At 11, we were on our way to the hospital. My pains were not like they explained in the birthing class, my entire back felt like it was in a vice, it hurt constatnly and the contractions only made it worse. I was having back labor!!!

I was only dilated 1 CM at midnight so instead of an epi, they gave me a shot of morphine, which didn't even put a dent in the pain. At 6 am they started me on pitcoin and I received an epi at about 10 am Monday morning. My doctor decided to break my water at this time, and this is when I got PISSED!!! The dr. said that my water had already been broken, which meant that it broke Friday night and the idiots at the hospital sent me home. This caused me to have a fever of over 101 and I needed an extra IV for antibiotics. I told you I should have listened to my instincts.

I had to have the epi readministered 3 times, each time with a stronger dose ( I had the 5x stuff) because my back hurt so bad. Now, I consider myself a very tough person and I have a very high threshold for pain, but that back labor broke me down!

Finally, after hours of being awake in excruciating pain it was time for me to push at 7pm. The pushing actually felt great, it took my focus off of the pain and onto getting that little one out. Each time I would push my mom, hubby, and doc, said they could see the head, but she kept going back in once I would stop. After over 1.5 hours of pushing and baby's heartrate over 200 bpm my doc advised us that she must be stuck on something and that we should have a C-section. I was devastated, I had dreamed about giving birth vaginally and being able to experience this.

Once I agreed to the Csection, it was like a whirlwind, it seems like the room was filled with nurses poking and prodding me and then I was quickly whisked away. They began the prep, and before I knew it I looked at the ceiling with my arms stretched out and what do I see, other than the reflection of my abdomen completely ripped open. I don't know how no one ever complained about this before, but there was a light attached to a hard, white plastic thing and it was like a mirror looking down into my open torso. Thank goodness I was so drugged up that I really had no reaction.

Luckily, I didn't feel anything at all, and once my husband was wheeled into the room I felt much better. At 9:06 pm (after 24 hours of active labor) my perfect little girl was here. 7lb 3 oz, 19 inches long. I heard her first cry and remember thinking that she had the most adorable cry in the world.

Afterwards, my doc told me that she had the umbilical cord wrapped twice around her neck, arm, and leg. All that moving she was doing in there got her into a bit of trouble!

The recovery was terrible and I had very bad baby blues because I was so dissapointed that I couldn't be the first to hold, kiss, see her. But I am glad she is a healthy happy baby!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Overdue, emergency C-section delivery

• Congratulations! I'm glad that you both are healthy and happy!

Welcome to the Bump, by the way!

• Welcome to the Bump and what a wild story. Next time...trust your gut indeed. Congratulations on the birth of your little girl!
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry to hear about the rough time- but thanks for the heads up on the water breaking!  But congrats on a beautiful baby girl!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards