New Orleans Babies
Options

products- cribs and breast pumps and co-sleeper and wipe warmer

I had a crib I liked at Target, but on the mini display size and in a few of the reviews, people noted the spindle/slats were a bit flimsy and that seemed correct.  I don't know how strong they truly need to be, but the thought of an unsafe crib is unsettling.  Do you all have recommendations on cribs or crib brands or even stores that would sell something still affordable, but safe?  I don't really want a fancy crib, but I do want a safe one.  I'm not sure how much we need to pay to be sure it is safe.

I will need a breast pump due to my work situation.  Someone gave me one, but when I researched it I found that all except for one brand of the better, non-hospitla pumps cannot be shared safely.  So, does anyone have recommendations on a good pump and where to get the best buy.  I do need a fairly effecient one b/c I  will need to borrow an office to pump privatley in.

Did anyone try the bassinet type co-sleepers and find it useful?  If you got the type that turns into a play yard, did you still find a pack n play useful?

My sister says to get a wipes warmer, but I thought I saw on the board a while back that it isn't useful.  Thoughts?

Thanks so much- as you can tell we are registering and trying to sort what we need out.  I don't have many closets in my NOLA house so efficiency is valued. 

Re: products- cribs and breast pumps and co-sleeper and wipe warmer

• Options
    For crib recommendations/reviews I'd say get yourself a copy of (or borrow) the latest edition of Baby Bargains:  https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Bargains-Furniture-Equipment-Maternity/dp/1889392332/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289102797&sr=8-1  It really helped us narrow down the brands we were comfortable buying.  We ended up using the reviews and ratings in the book to purchase a crib and dresser from Amazon.com (they ended up having the best price).  We're happy with it and will be passing it on to baby #2 and using the reviews and ratings in the book to help us decide on a new set for DD.

I have the Medela PISA breast pump.  I was only working part-time when I went back to work, and ended up leaving my job after about three months so for me I think it was not really needed.  I never even used both pumps at the same time - I always just did one side at a time.  But everyone else who uses it while working full-time seems to really love it.  That's not to say  that I didn't - it worked perfectly well for me, but had I known beforehand, I probably wouldn't have spent as much money on it.  ANYway - shop around - you can usually find a good deal on it and get it closer to $200 rather than the $280 I think the suggested retail is.  I purchased mine from a medical supply website and got a good deal at the time ($225 w/free shipping) but I suppose the price may have gone down since.  ALSO - check with your health insurance - they may cover a pump or at least part of it.

We did not use a co-sleeper but I want to get one this time around.  We had a pack n play in the living room b/c it was too big to fit in our bedroom next to our bed and we borrowed a regular bassinet from SIL to put in our bedroom.  I ended up co-sleeping with DD  for the first 8 weeks but would have felt better had we gotten a co-sleeper - I think I would have been much more rested with a co-sleeper is what I mean.  Otherwise we used the pack n play with the bassinet feature in place every single day until DD was sitting up on her own - so it certainly got it's use.

I don't see the point really in a wipe warmer.  If you're concerned about the cool wipe on baby's bottom, warm it in your hands for a few seconds.

Again, I recommend the Baby Bargains book.  It really helped us narrown down what to put on the registry and then everything else we needed to purchase.
  • Options

We couldn't live without our wipes warmer. He loves it. However, I'm the only one I know who feels this way.

We didn't really get that much use out of our co-sleeper :(  Right now I throw our pillows on it when we go to bed. He just didn't care for it.

I rented a hospital grade breast pump from a medical supply place.

Kevin & Traci May 11, 2006 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We have a little co-sleeper thing that goes in the bed with you; it keeps the baby right there for night nursings, but also keeps him "safe" while in your bed. We used it for a bit, but then I got over my fear and just put him in the bed, lol.

Anyway, you can have it if you want it. :)

I have an Ameda breast pump (the kind you can share), and while I like it, my friend had one then got a Medela pump in style and said she saw an increase in her supply. If you need a good one to use at work, I'd probably recommend the medela. If I could go back, I'd probably just go ahead and spend the money....it's still cheaper than formula, lol.

Some people love the wipes warmer- we felt it was more trouble than it was worth.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"