Oregon Babies
Options

Ever used this photog?

Hi ladies,

I was wondering if any of you have ever used this photographer...Barefoot Photography?

https://www.photosbykimberly.com/index2.php

I did a google search for newborn photos in Portland and she came up right away.  And I totally love her photos.  However, it looks like she could get pretty spendy. 

Has anyone used her?  What was your experience like?  Worth the cost? OR....does anyone have any other recommendations for newborn photos? 

TIA

imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: Ever used this photog?

• Options
    I haven't used her, and she does look expensive! Several of us on this board have used Pfaus Photography, she's actually a local Bumpie too! If you google "pfaus photography" you will find her website, and see a billion pictures of me and my family also. I highly reccomend her : )
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Jenn is great! So is ADBPhotographix. If you have a FB page you can look her up on there. She's fantastic and worth every penny! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies!  I'll look into both of them! 
    imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I have never heard of them - but second all the replies about Pfaus Photography.  Here is a link with pics from our 3 month session that she did: https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/44172273.aspx  She also came to our house to do a 3 week session and those photos were great.  I also recommend Brian Rupp Photography - he and his wife photographed our wedding and did my maternity session.  He has a website and blog photos, but I don't think Pfaus can be beat for the money!
  • Options

IMO you get what you pay for. I don't know Barefoot photography but looking at the photos on their site, I can see they are very skillfully done and she obviously knows what she's doing. Photography gives you memories you will treasure forever and thus are worth the investment.

I've heard of Brian Rupp before and he's very reputable.  His blog shows great photos. 

• Options

imageanvloveskme:
      I also recommend Brian Rupp Photography

The Rupp's did my sister's wedding and another fellow Bumpies pics for her daughter....however he is very expensive. About $250 a session. Worth the money, but if you are concerned with expenses I would look around.  

• Options

I don't think $250 for custom photography is "very expensive". Like I said, you get what you pay for. You get an experienced photographer with a reputable business. You have to think about what you get for the money. The photographer doesn't just come to your session and shoot photos and is done. No, they take home the photos and edit them to make them look their best. Per session that can take up hours, depending on how many photos they shot. 

Experience brings knowledge about finding the best light, best poses, best angles to get rid of distracting backgrounds, etc.

Sorry, but this is a pretty hot-topic issue for me. I am not a professional photographer myself. I'm just an experienced hobbyist who likes taking photos of nature and friends and family. But I frequent an online forum with a lot of professional photographers and I see what goes into having a successful photography business.  

• Options

I do agree with a LOT with Esther... You absolutely do get what you pay for in most cases. If you are looking for "Anne Geddes" style and level of quality you will not get it for "cheap". If you can afford a $400 session and then prints for $500+ I can almost guarantee you will NOT be disappointed. That photographer has years of experience and the highest quality equipment (which is of course part of the reason they charge those kinds of rates).

However in this economy and with most of the bumpies on this board being first time parents I am sure that they make a decision that is largely based on price and the photographer's style. I would hope that if you are paying a lower price than than Rupp or Barefoot that you realize there will be concessions somewhere.

Choose the photographer who's work you like (and should be consistent), you can afford, and if you make a decision after much thought that you will not regret later. Referrals are always a good thing!

Newborn photography is an art form that takes a long time to master... especially those "newborn poses" you always see. Most are composites and take lots of skill to get just right.

• Options
    imageestherandgeoff2:

I don't think $250 for custom photography is "very expensive". Like I said, you get what you pay for. You get an experienced photographer with a reputable business. I am not a professional photographer myself. I'm just an experienced hobbyist who likes taking photos of nature and friends and family. 

I also do photography in my free time as a hobby. I am not an expert either but I am very familiar with what good quality work is. For wedding photos you will obviously pay more, but for family photos it doesn't have to be expensive. For many of the people on this board and for many people in general $250 is a lot to pay for photographs. My point is, the girl that I recommended does it for almost half that and her work is amazing. So there are deals out there with good reputable photographers that don't cost an arm and a leg. I would pay $250 for pics if I made a lot of money but honestly, I am a full time student, full time mom and I work. For me, $250 is WAY out of reach. I am just saying that there is quality work out there for better prices if you are concerned with cost, which many people are. I am not trying to create an argument, but I felt sort of attacked with your post.

• Options

our friends used her. she did a great job. really really nice stuff. they did spend more than they wanted to, but they certainly got what they paid for. they did a maternity/newborn combo.

if you love her photos, that's going to be important 10 years from now rather than looking back and knowing you saved a few $$ and don't like the pictures as well.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

My Personal Photo Blog

First tourist of the Season:
  • Options

Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone. I know that some people are more affordable than others and you have to go with what is in your budget. But educate yourself on what is out there and who makes good photography. These photos are memories that you will treasure forever. A friend of mine recently shot a family with a 2-year old and a 9-month old. On her way home she got a call from the family. The little one got a fever that rose super quickly and died! So tragic! The photos they had from this photographer were the last memento of that little girl. Of course this sort of stuff happens very rarely, but it's an example of how important custom photography can be.

There are some things in photography that a professional photographer has to know when shooting session, esp. outside:

1. white balance. If you do a session and the white balance is different in every photo that is not good. One time someone can look way too red, the next they look cool. Pretty basic photography knowledge.

2. posing. Don't chop off feet and hands. Use the rules of thirds to make photos interesting. Move around to make sure there are no distracting things like people or cars or signs in the background.

3. lighting. Don't shoot in the middle of the day in the harsh sun. It creates blown out spots in hair and on skin. Also when you do shoot in the shade, look out for dappled lighting. I hate it when someone's face is half in the sun and half in the shade. When shooting inside (e.g. newborn) shoot near a window and position the baby at a certain angle to the window. Make sure when you do a close-up with open eyes that you can see catch lights in the eyes. Don't shoot with an onboard flash. 

4. selective coloring or oversaturation/undersaturation. Is the photographer trying to show off their photoshop editing skills? nms at all. 

I could go on, but these are just basic things I look for when I look at other people's photos. 

• Options
    Well said, Esther. :)
    The hair grows in thick where the horn used to be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"