Military Families
Options

Happy Veterans' Day to us and our men!

Hi ladies,

I know we all kissed (or tried to skype!) our husbands today, and it's fun to have a day where they get thanked and get to go to community ceremonies and such. I send a huge congratulations to each of you that has adapted, put up with, and celebrated our weird military lives. 

So, in honor of us, feel free to post a little brag about something that you or your soldier did that you think is pretty cool. We should be able to do it every day, but especially today, right?

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
221_-6_Little Charlotte is.png" alt="baby" border="0" />

Re: Happy Veterans' Day to us and our men!

• Options

And I shall start:

DH left his paratrooper gig at Fort Bragg via a MiTT team deployment from hell, and now is an ROTC instructor. I am proud that he spends extra hours bettering his cadets and making up for the 2 years that the previous instructor spent not teaching them ANYTHING. I wish he could be home early instead, but I'm proud that he takes his commitment to them so seriously and really wants to churn out some badass 2LTs when they finally get out of school.

Funny aside: when they turn in assignments late, he often has them do 1 burpee per minute of lateness. So, 2 hours late = 120 of them, which is about 15 minutes of solid sweating. One kid left a note with his late assignment and we have it up on our fridge because we got such a kick out of it!:

"Dear CPT Lithigin,

I know my assignment is late. I'll be waiting out back for you to smoke me.

Respectfully,

Cadet McC"

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
    221_-6_Little Charlotte is.png" alt="baby" border="0" />
  • Options
    Women can enlist too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageLace&Josh:
    Women can enlist too.

This, we actually have quite a few here on the nest and the bump (and I assume the knot too). 

And today is about celebrating the actual veterans who have served and fought for our freedoms, not "us" as spouses.  Military Spouse Appreciation Day is in May. 

Sorry, I don't mean it as a personal attack, it's just one of those things that bothers me.  Kind of like the whole "Happy Memorial Day!  Let's go have a bbq and play in the pool!" thing, when the day is supposed to be about remembering and honoring those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.  I guess you could say I'm a purist when it comes to remembrance holidays. 

• Options
    imageleslie13510:

imageLace&Josh:
    Women can enlist too.

This, we actually have quite a few here on the nest and the bump (and I assume the knot too). 

And today is about celebrating the actual veterans who have served and fought for our freedoms, not "us" as spouses.  Military Spouse Appreciation Day is in May. 

Sorry, I don't mean it as a personal attack, it's just one of those things that bothers me.  Kind of like the whole "Happy Memorial Day!  Let's go have a bbq and play in the pool!" thing, when the day is supposed to be about remembering and honoring those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.  I guess you could say I'm a purist when it comes to remembrance holidays. 

Yes

• Options
    While I completely understand your point of view, a lot of people choose to thank the spouses as well because without us, our husbands would not be as strong going into war.  Scenario: A wife freaks out about a deployment and is a total pain in the butt up until the day he leaves and doesn't make it any easier on the military member, he's not as effective in combat.  I think it's very nice when people choose to thank me as well as my husband.  Again, not trying to start an argument but there are two sides of it. 
  • Options

imagejamieschofield:
    While I completely understand your point of view, a lot of people choose to thank the spouses as well because without us, our husbands would not be as strong going into war.  Scenario: A wife freaks out about a deployment and is a total pain in the butt up until the day he leaves and doesn't make it any easier on the military member, he's not as effective in combat.  I think it's very nice when people choose to thank me as well as my husband.  Again, not trying to start an argument but there are two sides of it. 

I get thanking the spouses and families, and those are much appreciated.  I don't get bragging about what I do as a spouse.  Not today.  Today is not about me in that sense. 

• Options
    imageleslie13510:

imageLace&Josh:
    Women can enlist too.

*here here* Beer

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagejamieschofield:

I served alongside many single men and women during deployment and they did just fine. A supportive spouse is a fantastic luxury. Those single soldiers (and I was one of them during my deployment) were just as capable, strong, and functional as those that had a married partner back in the states.

While I disgree with your comment, I also want to thank you for being a military wife. I've been on both sides, and honestly...sometimes I think it is harder to be the wife!

• Options
    imageleslie13510:

imageLace&Josh:
    Women can enlist too.

This. Both my FI and I are in the Army...when I'm gone he freaks out just as much as I do when he has to deploy. Spouses have to be strong too, but today is a day to honor the soldiers. All me and my FI have spoken about today are the battle buddies (friends) that lost their lives in combat, and the ones who are still over their. 2 guys in my platoon where just deployed!! Part of my team is gone and I'm praying for them.

I'm a proud soldier and I'm also very pround of my soldier (my fiancee)!! <3

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"