Illinois Babies

Prentice Deliveries

Hi All!  I have a few questions for those that have delivered at Prentice.  If you don't mind answering that would be stellar. TIA

1. Did you like Prentice overall?

2. Would you deliver there again?

3. If you had BCBS insurance, how much did you have to pay out-of-pocket (DH and I are planning for our FSA and I'm trying to get a good idea of how much we should include)

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Prentice Deliveries

• 1. Did you like Prentice overall? I loved Prentice. Attentive staff, up to date medical practice, spacious rooms. I wish I knew how to PIP I would show you the view from my room.

2. Would you deliver there again? This was my second delivery at Prentice and it was even better than the first.

I can't help with insurance. I have a PPO, through a different carrier.

• imageMISnJER80:

Hi All!  I have a few questions for those that have delivered at Prentice.  If you don't mind answering that would be stellar. TIA

1. Did you like Prentice overall?

2. Would you deliver there again?

3. If you had BCBS insurance, how much did you have to pay out-of-pocket (DH and I are planning for our FSA and I'm trying to get a good idea of how much we should include)

Overall, I liked Prentice.  I was almost sent home, though, the evening before giving birth.  I don't know who was more at fault - the triage nurse who didn't check me for 3 hours (and I wasn't asking to be checked, I figured the monitors knew what I was up to.)   Or the doctor who hadn't seen me and only came to check me when I refused to be checked by the nurse.  (Won't bore you with the whole story.  I was told to go home and when the nurse came back to give me discharge instructions, asked if I wanted to be checked.  I wasn't refusing anything during the 4 hours I was there.)

I will likely deliver there again. 

We have BCBC PPO (coverage of 90%, we pay 10%).  Between my bills and my daughter's - it only came to about a $1000.  I was surprised and had expected double that. 

Does your BCBS plan cover immunizations?  We have a wellness benefit ($600/person) and my daughter pretty much used that up in the hospital.  Our 2 month shots ran about $340 if that helps ya.  Waiting to see what the 4 and 6 month shots will be.

• Loading the player...
  • I loved Prentice and would deliver there again.  I had no complaints.

Medically, you can't get much better.  I agree with a PP, the staff is friendly, professional, and courteous.  

Everything is modern and up-to-date, everything feels nice (as far as comfort and the rooms go).  Hardwood floors, spacious (my room was, at least), a spot for your DH/SO to sleep, and internet access.  That last part was great because I was able to send an email easily announcing my son's birth. 

That last part isn't the most important stuff, but really, it's a great hospital.

• Clearly I haven't delivered yet, but I have BCBS PPO and was told to expect no more than 1K out of pocket for hospital bills.

Having been to triage at Prentice once so far I can say the nurses were great. Everything I've heard about Prentice has been good. 

BFP 4/23/09. D&E 7/17/09 16W5D. BFP #2 3/10/10. EDD 11/15/10 Babycakes was born 11/5/10! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is such helpful information, thank you everyone. We have BCBS elite and the coverage is 90/10 so the replies are so helpful. I'm not sure about immunizations so I will give them a call tomorrow. Thanks again!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I delivered at Prentice and while I was happy with the nurses during the delivery, I did not receive good care afterwards.  My son was sent to the NICU after his birth and after seeing him in the delivery room for about 2 minutes, I didn't see him again for almost 24 hours.  My husband and parents were able to see him, but the nurses on my floor said that they couldn't take me to see him because I was on bed rest.  When we saw the doctor the next day, she said that it was absolutley unacceptable that I was not allowed to see my baby.  After the doctor spoke to the nurses, a supervisor took me to see my son.  The nurses in the NICU for the most part made me feel like it would be better for them if we didn't come see our son.  When my husband asked questions about the monitors hooked up to our son, the nurse seemed offended.  Although I was attempting to breastfeed, they did not provide me with any opportunities ot breastfeed.  They kept telling us that they needed to measure the amount of formula that my son was eating.  We wanted to feed him the bottles, but they kept feeding him long before they told us that they would.  I am not sure if I would deliver at Prentice again. I would much rather have decent care than wood floors and a lake view.

The delivery cost us over $2,000 since my son received separate bills for being in the NICU for four days.

• Mis!!  Do you remember me from our wedding planning days?  Are you expecitng?  I am too! In April!   I dont hang out on the boards too much anymore, but sometimes skip around my due date month board. 

I cant help you with your quesion, but I plan to deliever at Prentice in April

Hope all is well with you!

• Delivery was amazing. Post-partum floor nurses really werent around as much as I would have liked but overall all very happy with my experience so yes I would deliver there again.

I have BCBS PPO the bill just came today and for a boy w/circumcision it cost out of pocket 409.71 ($374 for circumcision). So hopefully you are having a girl LOL.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageschaiblejen:

Mis!!  Do you remember me from our wedding planning days?  Are you expecitng?  I am too! In April!   I dont hang out on the boards too much anymore, but sometimes skip around my due date month board. 

I cant help you with your quesion, but I plan to deliever at Prentice in April

Hope all is well with you!

oh my goodness Congrats!!  Of course I remember you, I was actually wondering if you were still around!  I'm due May 11th.  I can't believe it, just a few years ago planning a wedding, now waiting for our first LO!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I just delivered there October 12. Everything was great and went as smoothly as one could hope for. The nurses were attentative and very knowledgeable. I would deliver there again and DH says the same thing. I do have BCBS but have not received a bill yet, sorry I cannot help there. But I would definitely say go with Prentice, medically they are the best.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I haven't delivered (yet), but as for insurance, call and find out what the expected costs will be. Even people with BCBS will have different levels of coverage depending on the type of plan you have/your company provides. I just called today and they broke down all the costs for hospital and doctor visits. Also, for some plans you need to get register or get precertifcation -so it doesn't hurt to call and ask.
  • We LOVED Prentice! It was absolutely amazing. My sister has had four kids, two of them at the old Prentice and two in other North Shore hospitals and she couldn't get over how amazing the new Prentice was. We loved our stay there and everything was state of the art. Our little guy needed to have an emergency Echocardio Gram with Children's Memorial and they did it totally remotely. It was like we were in a commerical or something. It was amazing.My BFF just delivered at Rush and she wasn't too impressed. ALSO, all the nurses on the floor are certified Lactation Consultants....can't beat that! :-)

I AM pregnant again and so excited about. We had such an amazing experience with pregnancy and delivery (although I ended with an emergency c-section) and we can't wait to go back.

We have a plan through BCBS and ended up paying about $600 total for me and the baby...and I maxed out my food delivery from their amazing menu each day so I thought I was going to be billed for that, too, but I wasn't.

• I really liked Prentice and would be delivering #2 there if we hadn't moved to the burbs. My only complaint was that I have been told by my new OBGYN office that I would have been given a C-Section as they let me push for 3.5 hours (after 20 hours of labor) and then had to use forceps to get the baby out, leaving me really, really tore up and with a long recovering.  I just assumed, okay, that happens until I heard this from my current OB and after knowing 7 other moms who have delivered at Prentice in the past 2 years that have also had forceps delivery....rumor is that they're trying to keep their C-section rate down. I'm sure that sometimes the forceps are better than a c-section but I personally know a few moms that have had to do PT because of issues caused by the forceps. 

Take that for what it's worth - I would deliver there again if we were closer.  

Visit BabyDealsDujour - we list all the baby daily deals in real-time! Please join our Facebook Group for updates on the best baby daily deals.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"