VBAC
Options

Cleared for VBA2C's...just have to decide now. Thoughts?

Wow. So, the new dr I met with yesterday (different hospital) says he'll let me try for a VBAC after 2 CS's. 

VBAC Pros - 

Easier recovery

Experience real labor for the first time

Avoid 3+ C-Sections if we decide to have more kids 

Better equipped hospital/Nicu 

VBAC Cons - 

May end up with CS anyway

Uterine rupture

45+ minutes away not counting WI weather in February

My pediatrician doesn't practice at this hospital

Changing Dr's mid pregnancy  

C-Section Pros -

Quick

Predictable date

Scheduled CS was really easy

Can literally walk to hospital (in Feb in Wisconsin) 

No change in dr's needed

Our pediatrician (who we love) will be the one taking care of baby #3

C-Section Cons -

Recovery

Another surgery  - risk of impact on uterus/future pregnancies

Still don't know what it's like to go into labor 

Surprisingly, DH said last night it would be "fun" to actually go through a real labor. My mom and MIL are not on board with VBAC's.

What to do? :) 

Re: Cleared for VBA2C's...just have to decide now. Thoughts?

• Options

That's awesome that you found a doc that would do it----- I guess it just is a matter of weighing it all.  Heck, I'm having that issue with just trying for my first VBAC after 1 c/s.  I'm scared to death to have 2 c/s----I hear the risks are higher PLUS I hear a third pregnancy after 2 c/s is rough. 

Are the risks WAY higher for uterine rupture after 2 c/s??  I'd assume so, but haven't looked in to it yet. 

I love how your DH said "it'd be fun"---LOL

• Options

I'm very happy to hear that you have an option here, whichever choice you end up making.  So yay for that.

I can't tell you what to do because it's a very personal decision.  If you want more children in the future, I would definitely weigh that into the choice and for me, that would be a big pro of VBAC.  I'd be wary of having more than 3 or 4 c/s, especially since the risks to the mother go up with every c/s that you have. 

The risk of UR for 2 c/s seems to be a little bit higher from the studies I've read, but still low overall and VBA2C seems like a safe option (and your new doctor and ACOG agree). 

GL with your decision and your birth. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't really factor the pediatrician into the equation. With DD, I delivered at a hospital that my doctor does not. We saw the in house and he was great.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"