VBAC
Options

Ugh--I've become consumed with this VBAC thing--

and not necessarily "pro" VBAC--just VBAC vs repeat c/s in general.  Weighing the pros/cons constantly---and reality is that little is in our control.  Mother nature generally wins out as we all know too well.  So all the planning in the world doesn't mean anything.  I'm just trying to educate myself and there's just so much to go through.

The biggest thing right now is that yes, c-sections have their risks to mom but it appears according to stats that the risk to the baby during vbac is higher.  That scares me--especially because I have no idea why my body didn't progress on it's own the first time around.

So all day --my thoughts are on VBAC, midwives, hospitals, repeating the c-section, etc.  Argh.  I'm sure I'm not alone, right?

Re: Ugh--I've become consumed with this VBAC thing--

• Options

I'm right there with you! Even before I got pregnant I had always thought I would try for a VBAC. Now, as I'm doing the research and weighing the pros/cons I am just so undecided! I did not have a bad c/s experience or recovery. I failed to progress, never got to the pushing stage and was totally fine with having a c/s.

Aside from the very small chance for uterine rupture that is always the big red flag waving over my head, I'm now worried that if I do get to have a VBAC that I will tear horribly and still have to recover, only I think that sounds worse than an abdominal incision :)  My sister tore front to back and still has issues from it, 9 years later. So there's that...

**Baby #3 is on the way!**
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

What stats are you looking at that the risks are more to the baby with a VBAC? Check out vbacfacts.com.

As far as tearing, controlled pushing during crowning and not letting them cut an episiotomy will prevent those. As will oil and warm compresses to the perineum during crowning.

The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageDonnaMartinGraduates:

I'm right there with you! Even before I got pregnant I had always thought I would try for a VBAC. Now, as I'm doing the research and weighing the pros/cons I am just so undecided! I did not have a bad c/s experience or recovery. I failed to progress, never got to the pushing stage and was totally fine with having a c/s.

Aside from the very small chance for uterine rupture that is always the big red flag waving over my head, I'm now worried that if I do get to have a VBAC that I will tear horribly and still have to recover, only I think that sounds worse than an abdominal incision :)  My sister tore front to back and still has issues from it, 9 years later. So there's that...

Ugh--yeah, I've thought about tearing but holy crap--didn't think of it being THAT bad.  That's got to be rough and let's face it--things are NEVER the same downstairs after that.  In fact, every single one of my friends whose had a vag delivery (even without tearing) has now had that surgery to get the pee thing under control----and that's been quite the recovery. 

I never doubted the VBAC until recently--and now I'm so confused.  Ugh. 

• Options
    imageJoelsGirl07:

What stats are you looking at that the risks are more to the baby with a VBAC? Check out vbacfacts.com.

Ditto - I can't say I've ever read anything about additional risk to baby with VBAC vs. regular vaginal birth other than the risk of uterine rupture.  ??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

You are definately not alone. I did the same thing, went back and forth weighing all the risks with VBAC vs. repeat c-section. At the end of my pregnancy I was even ready to schedule a c-section since I wasn't dilating at all. I finally started dilating a bit and so my Dr. scheduled an induction. I ended up going into labor on my own thankfully and that is how I ended up with my VBAC. I'm so glad I went into labor on my own and didn't have to be induced. I guess everything happens for a reason and I am so thankful I got my VBAC.

Everything will work out the way it's supposed to. I know it's easier said than done!

• Options

I successfully VBACed and for the record, though I did tear a bit, the recovery was MUCH easier.  And I have no pee issues;-)

I, too, had my reservations but had a very knowledgeable and supportive midwife that I trusted completely.  If she ever told me that I needed to move to a CS, I would have done it.  But everything worked out for a VBAC for me. 

You have to make the decision for yourself but remember that you can change that decision at any point!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    imagepapagena:
    imageJoelsGirl07:

Ditto - I can't say I've ever read anything about additional risk to baby with VBAC vs. regular vaginal birth other than the risk of uterine rupture.  ??

I'll have to go back and look at the sites--but I was shocked at it too.  and one of the sites was for a doctor who is very pro-VBAC so they were good stats---and another was one of those vbac sites--maybe a midwife site??  It's like 3 in 100,000 for c-section vs 6 in 100,000 or something like that for vbac (of death of infant).

• Options

I guess a part of me is just so bummed that the closest vbac friendly hospital and midwife service is an hour and a half from me (with no traffic).  And that kind of scares me (if I did end up going in to labor on my own).

• Options
    imageadams_lacey:

You are definately not alone. I did the same thing, went back and forth weighing all the risks with VBAC vs. repeat c-section. At the end of my pregnancy I was even ready to schedule a c-section since I wasn't dilating at all. I finally started dilating a bit and so my Dr. scheduled an induction. I ended up going into labor on my own thankfully and that is how I ended up with my VBAC. I'm so glad I went into labor on my own and didn't have to be induced. I guess everything happens for a reason and I am so thankful I got my VBAC.

Everything will work out the way it's supposed to. I know it's easier said than done!

this is what I hope for for number two.  I know this may sound crazy but I have decided to leave my desicion for Vbac vs. RCsec up to God and my baby.  If I start progress on my own I will go for it.  If I go past 41 wks 3 days, I'm having a section.  It's taken a tremedous amount of pressure off of me to come to this conclusion.  My OB is fine with it and is even willing to give me small amounts of Pitocin to help me progress (once labor has started) if I need it.

DH and I would love to have four kids so we are hoping for a vbac, but will take what we can get.

BabyFruit Ticker

IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/qpqv84.jpg[/IMG]

Patiently waiting for little brother!

• Options

It's normal to be scared about it all, especially after many of us had scary/horrible birth stories the last time we were in labor. If you want a VBAC, my advice is read the risks, talk to the doc so you know what you need to know and then stop.  Just focus on reading Pro-VBAC information, talk to VBACers and just take the repeat c/s off the table.  From the moment my water broke with DD, I just stayed focused on getting through the labor with no pain meds and didn't think any further than that. 

There are risks with everything we do, with both methods of giving birth the risks are pretty tiny in both areas, so my advice is find another method of deciding which option is best for you.  Do you want to VBAC for an easier recovery, is the cost of the birth a concern, are you trying to prove to yourself you can have a vaginal birth?  Think through those questions and you will feel a lot more confident in your decision rather than just worrying about the risks of one being a tiny bit higher than the other :) The risks were never a concern with me when it compared to my desire to have my daughter in the method that I WANTED, not the doctors. Good Luck!

• Options
    imagehollywoodgirl311:

It's normal to be scared about it all, especially after many of us had scary/horrible birth stories the last time we were in labor. If you want a VBAC, my advice is read the risks, talk to the doc so you know what you need to know and then stop.  Just focus on reading Pro-VBAC information, talk to VBACers and just take the repeat c/s off the table.  From the moment my water broke with DD, I just stayed focused on getting through the labor with no pain meds and didn't think any further than that. 

There are risks with everything we do, with both methods of giving birth the risks are pretty tiny in both areas, so my advice is find another method of deciding which option is best for you.  Do you want to VBAC for an easier recovery, is the cost of the birth a concern, are you trying to prove to yourself you can have a vaginal birth?  Think through those questions and you will feel a lot more confident in your decision rather than just worrying about the risks of one being a tiny bit higher than the other :) The risks were never a concern with me when it compared to my desire to have my daughter in the method that I WANTED, not the doctors. Good Luck!

That's good advice--risks in all directions but focusing on something else.  For ME, it's strictly recovery (selfish, maybe but it's true).  I want to be able to get up and around, get home quicker, hug my DS and snuggle with my DS and new LO on my lap......and not have to worry.  I want that so badly!!!

The one thing I'd say isn't a focus is the actual delivery---I honestly am not one of the ladies that say "I've got to feel labor and delivery"---because I don't really want to.  I was always pro-epi, but with VBAC I'd almost be afraid to go that route. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"