Working Moms
Options

Daycare and colds?

When do you decide to keep LO home? DS came down with his 2nd cold over the weekend, and was pretty stuffy all night, though he still slept, still eating normally, no temp etc. The room teacher had absolutely no concerns with him being there. But I feel like the worst mom in the world, both because I know DS is clingy right now and simply can't get that attention in daycare, and for spreading germs in his classroom. There's a list on the classroom door about illnesses in the room, and there's one line checked for 'cold symptoms' and I know it's because of my DS. Should I just get used to it, or do you have tips on how to avoid being 'that parent'?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Daycare and colds?

• Options

Colds are part of daycare.  it's rare that my kid is the first to get it, but once he picks something, he still goes.  Unless he is vomiting or has a high fever, he goes. 

It totally sucks, but that is just part of the deal.

photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

You aren't being that parent since every parent does that.

Today, DD is home sick because she has a fever of 102. She has to be fever over 100, vomit and diarrhea free for 24 hours before she can return to day care. Those are the school's rules, and knowing how infectious disease works, it makes a lot of sense since she's still infectious for those 24 hours.

Personally, if he is sleep deprived and clingy, I would assess my time off bank and see if I can take at least a half day to be with him, knowing it's the beginning of cold and flu season so I might need those days later. If the bank is low, I would trust the DCP to call if they think he should go home. Or I call a grandparent to see if they can give him some TLC, although I hate taking a chance of infecting them too.

Updated to add: If our board had "cold symptoms" as a part of their list, it would be on there every day from Sept - April. That is crazy!! I expect to know about hand foot and mouth, or roseolla, but colds are a part of childhood!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    met DH 1995 ~ married DH 2006 ~ completed our family 2008
    Life is good!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick reassurance. I just returned from maternity leave last week, and need to have days ready for Thanksgiving and the Christmas to New Year's break, so my accruals are really low for a few months and I would rather save it in case anything serious shows up. But I feel a little better knowing this is pretty much par for the course...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageweelass24:

Colds are part of daycare.  it's rare that my kid is the first to get it, but once he picks something, he still goes.  Unless he is vomiting or has a high fever, he goes. 

Ditto this.  DS is there now with a cold.  It's just par for the course with young kids and a closed environment.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    imagePesky:
    imageweelass24:

Ditto this.  DS is there now with a cold.  It's just par for the course with young kids and a closed environment.

This exactly. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    There is probably not a day that goes by that someone doesn't have a stuffy or runny nose at daycare.  I wouldn't keep him home for that.  Don't feel bad.  If you did, you'd be home about 75% of the time!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    That's definitely part of the child care experience! Children are typically most contagious prior to the appearance of symptoms, so not only did your son likely pick up the cold at child care, he was contagious before you even knew he had it. That's what your child care program follows state regulations, which are very clear about when your child needs to stay home and when he is welcome to come. In most states (check your own), it's a fever over 100.4, vomiting and/or diarrhea more than once, or evidence of one of those childhood viruses like chicken pox or roseola. As far as the clinginess and tiredness that accompanies the cold, chances are your son is more distracted by the other children and toys happening at child car than he would be at home. But the guilt....don't think we can ever completely get rid of that!
  • Options
    Ditto everyone else - your kid and many others are at daycare today w/ colds and runny noses, if you stayed home every time he had a cold, you'd never be able to work or leave the house.  Its totally par for the course and no reason to feel guilty.  He'll be distracted by the other kids and probably barely notice his cold.  You'll both be fine!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My DD came home with a cold yesterday so we inquired about it this morning and they said a bunch of the kids have colds.  While I wish I could keep DD home when others are sick,  it is part of day care and it would be a long winter as I am sure there are so many colds.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"