New to The Bump

telling friends

We are six weeks pregnant! Big Smile

I want to tell my best friend badly. However, her and her husband have trying unsuccessfully to get pregnant for some time now. 

Has anyone been in that situation before. Do you have any suggestions on on how I should share this news with my friend?

Re: telling friends

• You are 6 weeks pregnant. Congratulations.

It's nice of you to think of your friend.

I was on the other side of this equation, so here are my suggestions. I would do it one on one, not in a group. If you are worried she'll have to put on a brave face in person, you may want to do it over the phone. Just let her know that you just found out you're pregnant, and you wanted to let her know ASAP so she could digest the news.

Things not to do: Tell her that her time is coming (you don't know if/when it will happen), talk incessantly about babies from here on out, complain for one moment about pregnancy symptoms, go into detail about hoping your relationship won't change (it might, and you don't want to force anything), or say that it's a surprise (I will never understand why people share that).

Just follow her cues and see how it goes. She may be able to put her disappointment and/or jealousy aside and be genuinely happy for you, or she may cut the conversation short and have to have some time to herself. I don't know what kind of person she is. Her response will dictate how the conversation goes.

GL and congrats again.

• I had a similar situation with my cousin and his wife. They kept trying and she even carried the baby to full term and then it was born still born. My dad just told my aunt and uncle and let them handle it. We aren't very close with them but it was still a little weird. I told a friend after I was 4 months along and she was so upset that I didn't tell her before that she's not even talking to me. I would just say be nice and don't boast. If she's a true friend she'll realize that you're not doing this to hurt her, you want to share your happiness.
  • Loading the player...
  • After talking it over and not being able to make a date to hangout one on one, I think we may just send her a card and keep it short and sweet. She's a great friend and I know she'll be happy for us but this will give her time to soak it in and deal with any emotions she may have before we talk (she's never been a good phone person so I'm skipping this route altogether!)

Thanks so much for the good advice!! Smile

• Congrats on being pregnant!

Me: 32  H: 34
    DS #1: 8/10/11,  DS #2: 10/13/14
    TTC #3 since October 2017

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"