Detroit Babies

Anyone deliver out of St. Johns (Detroit) or GP Beaumont?

We have a choice of either one and right now I am leaning towards GP Beaumont since it is a lot smaller. 

Any thoughts on either are appreciated!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone deliver out of St. Johns (Detroit) or GP Beaumont?

• I delivered both of my children at St Johns and had a wonderful experience both times.  My girlfriend just had her baby at St Johns a month ago and also had a wonderful experience.  You stay in your room the whole time from labor until the end of your stay.  The rooms are really large.  There is a long couch for your husband to sleep on if he spends the night.  You get a rocking chair, TV, a small table for your husband to eat at.  Large bathroom.   Lots of room for visitors.  There are no rooms that you share, everyone gets their own room.

Another friend delivered at GP Beaumont and her room was extremely small.  I think her husband slept in a chair.(not sure if they have different size rooms depending on your insurance)  I think you deliver in a different room and then they move you to your postpartum room because there would not have been room to deliver in there.  If you get a chance go have a tour of both locations.

• Does your OB only deliver out of those hospitals?  Just curious because Beaumont RO is better than GP.  Does it matter for your insurance?
  • Loading the player...
  • I have no advice on either hospital.... but I was born at St. Johns. ?My mom said she liked it even way back then.?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagejanedoe09:
    Does your OB only deliver out of those hospitals?  Just curious because Beaumont RO is better than GP.  Does it matter for your insurance?

Yes, I have an eastside OB.  They have rights at St Johns and GP Beaumont and sometimes Cottage in GP.

Thanks for the insight ladies!

• I delievered at GP and loved it!! The staff there is so nice and helpful. You don't feel stressed because the hospital is so small. I would suggest taking a tour of the hospital just for your own piece of mind. You deliever and stay in the same room. However, they are doing construction on the floor to remodel the room since Beaumont took over, so you may be moved to another room as I was after delivery but it isn't a big deal. Don't worry about the construction because you can't hear anything that is going on.

I was there for 4 days due to a c-section and the entire time we were treated great. My DD was the only baby on the floor for the first 2 days and then the third day 2 women came in to deliver and teh Saturday we left 2 women came in. The nurses said that was alot for them since they dont' get alot of babies at one time. The difference between the two hospital is a) the size of the hospital and possibly rooms b) GP- does not have  neonatal unit if that is a concern for you.

At GP, the baby stays in teh room with you the entire stay in the hospital. They encourage rooming in with the parent (s) to establish bonding. As you can tell, we had a great stay and loved the staff and facility. If you need anything else, just ask.

Which OB office do you go out of?

• I delivered at St John's and also had a great experience. I picked that hospital b/c I was a high risk pg and wanted a Level 3 NICU just in case. Thankfully my boys didn't need the NICU, but I had peace of mind knowing it was there. If you need that and you deliver at Beaumont your babies will get sent to Royal Oak Beaumont and you'll have to stay at GP. I didn't want to risk that.

I didn't stay in the L&D room the entire time like the p.p.'s. A few hours after delivering I was moved to post-partum rooms which are in 5 West (down the hall from L&D). They're also private rooms though and have a TV, space for your spouse and a fridge. They're smaller than L&D rooms.

My nurses were awesome. My boys roomed with me the whole time, except that I chose to send them to the nursery at night so I could sleep. They had issues feeding and I got a ton of lessons from the nurses on how to feed them. The nurses were always prompt when I needed them. I've heard that being a problem elsewhere. The lactation counselors were less than prompt but very helpful and nice. The best part was the anesthesiologist. I had the best epidural ever, which made my whole birthing experience wonderful.

• First let me just say that I work for St. John Providence Health System so Im a bit biased, BUT I will say the following.

I had GD with DS and I choose St. John Main because of the NICU. I also agree with PP about the anesthesiologist... I had thee best epidural ever. Whether or not you get to stay in 1 room the entire time depends on how busy the floor is. DS was born in October which is one of their busiest months so I had to move to the post partum rooms, which were quite a bit smaller, but still very nice.

I had a great experience and I would definitely recommend taking a tour to see if you would be comfortable there.

• imagejenybear1229:

Which OB office do you go out of?

I am out of Eastside Gynecology on Little Mack in Roseville.  I love them!

• That is the office I use. Dr. Chen delivered my DD and he was wonderful. Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"