New Orleans Babies

eye drops right after birth

Does LA require newborns to have those eye drops put in right after birth?  I read a tiny bit on it, but not much.  Then another Mom in the medical field told me how unnecessary they are in this day and age, yet harsh.  Does anyone have recommended reading on the subject?  Did anyone refuse the drops?  I hate trying to decipher this sort of thing...   This is the sort of thing that makes this expected Mom nervous.  While I am at it, I guess I better read up on vaccines and vaccine schedules so feel free to make suggested reading tips on that subject matter as well- especially if anyone has balanced rather than extreme reading recommendations.  I did see several recommended pediatricians suggested on this board that offer modified schedules.  Many, many Thanks.   

Re: eye drops right after birth

• Speak to both your OB and the pediatrician you decide on about this.  That's all we did.

We asked that the drops/goop/whatever not be placed in her eyes immediately after birth, but rather after we had our bonding time. 
  • No, they are not required. We refused the eye drops and the hep b shot at birth...the doc came in, gave me the "lecture" then "off the record" told me that they require it for everyone just in case, and as long as you don't have any STD's, there's no need for either one. 

As far as vaccines, it's a great idea to do some research. There's so much information out there, and so much MISinformation. It took me a lot of time to sort through everything and only read the credible stuff. I have it all saved if you'd like me to email it to you. :)

The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears is a good place to start as well.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you.  Please e-mail it to me if you have it!  I don't know if this goes to you or the board so I will try this first and then send my address. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"