School-Aged Children

A teacher needs your advice!

Ok, so I'm not yet a mom of school-age children, but I am a teacher.  I teach 1st and 2nd students in Chicago. 

I haven't yet told the students that I'm expecting (not showing at all yet, so there have been no awkward questions).  I'm wondering if I should tell the parents before I break the news to the students...or should I tell the students and then write a note explaining that I'm pregnant and what will happen when I leave to have the baby?  I'm also just considering waiting until parent/teacher conferences to tell (Dec 3), but I don't want to take the focus of the conference away from the student.

As parents, what have you experienced?  Or what would you like a teacher to do if it was your child's teacher?

Thanks!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: A teacher needs your advice!

• As a teacher who just dealt with this, I told my students first.  Some parents already had a feeling, since I'm tiny and was starting to show.  I was about 20 weeks when I told my students (3rd grade). 

After I told them, I sent a letter home.

I'd wait as long as possible to say anything, otherwise, the kids will ask everyday if the baby is coming yet. 

• My daughter's teacher told the kids the same day she sent home an email to the parents.  I was glad for the heads up because DD came home with lots of questions. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I would like to know before my child so I can be prepared for any questions that might come up. I think its really thoughtful of you to even think about this. Thank you!
  • I told my students first... but I teach secondary school, and there's less direct communication with parents.

Still, I'd tell the students and have an email to parents ready to go that day.  So by the time the kids get home and tell their parents, parents will already have a reassuring email waiting for them. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Thanks for all your advice!  I think I'm going to wait (if I can get away with it) until around Thanksgiving to tell.  I would send an email during the day, but as I work in a pretty rough area, not many of my parents have or use a computer on a daily basis.  I think I'll tell the students and then send a note home for the parents at the end of the day.

Thanks again!!!  You moms are fab!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • oops, I never told my parents. I wasn't due until the next school year, so it really didn't affect them directly, or I probably would have. I told my students at about 20 weeks. I told them in a game of hangman (3rd grade). It was fun to see them start to figure out the puzzle!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"