High-Risk Pregnancy

positive FFN test - experiences?

Because my daughter was born early (31 weeks) due to pPROM my doctor has been monitoring me closely this pregnancy.  I've had weekly progesterone shots since 20 weeks and he started bi weekly FFN tests, cervical length checks, and internals to check for early signs of preterm labor.  The 27 weeks FFN test came back positive.  I've had a full round of steroid shots and two monitoring sessions at the hospital.  Everything with the baby looks great (heartbeat is very good, contractions are far and few between, not dilated, cervix nice and long).  It's just the FFN that is throwing a red flag. 

I'm now on restricted activity (basically bed rest) until 34 weeks.  I know FFN is a much better predictor when it is negative than when it is positive, but having had a preemie before I want so badly to have a termie this time around.

Please tell me your experiences after throwing a positive FFN.  Did you deliver soon afterward or did you go on to deliver at to or close to term?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: positive FFN test - experiences?

• Sorry, I didn't get a +ffn.  Despite CX and funneling/shortening cervix I got negatives both times.  I also remember being told several times that a +ffn is not a sure thing.

You are almost 28wks, which is a good 1st milestone.  Everyday is good, and it's so good you're being monitored and got steroids.  I hope you can really take it easy and get extra help for DD.  I'm scared of bedrest again this time, b/c I know it's much harder if you have LOs.  Invest in some help. 

GL!!! 

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I had a positive fFN at 30 weeks...and I went into ptl at 31w5d. They were able to get it stopped, thank goodness!! I was told to disregard it since they are rarely true but I still got things prepared and my bags packed in case. I wish I would have pushed for the steriod shots but I listened to their recommendations.  The positive gives a 3% chance that you'll deliver in the next 2 weeks....so 97% that you wont; it just shows that an enzyme present before labor begins is present in your cervix!
  • Loading the player...
  • Nothing is a guarantee in this, I know... but after my own +fFN a few days ago, I have been doing my research.  There are other factors that go along with a +fFN that can make it more of an indication or higher risk to deliver early, like cervical change and dialation....

I had PTL with my 2nd child, but made it to 37 weeks.... had a +fFN at 34 weeks and was on bedrest until 37 weeks, delivered a day later.  This time, I am 26 weeks and already have shortening of cervix, and am a fingertip dialated.... they put me on rest too, and hopefully it will work as well this time!  Keep your feet up and I hope you make it a few more weeks!!

• As far as bed rest I'm 1 week down, 5 weeks 3 days to go.  My OB's goal for this pregnancy is 34 weeks.  I'd prefer to go longer though!  

I hope you go longer too!  Every 2 weeks is a big milestone.  Have you started steroid shots?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"