High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Bedresters on baby #2 or more: how are other kids being cared for?

Are your children, if they are still very young, going to a daycare or having family assume responsibility or what?

Nutmeg, cilantro, sage, mint, thyme... these are a few of my favorite things! Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! We have four children; one left us too soon.

Re: Bedresters on baby #2 or more: how are other kids being cared for?

• Options

I spent a month in the hospital before my daughter was born.  My almost 3 year old son stayed with my DH and he took him to daycare every morning.  In the evening, we hired someone to pick him up from daycare and stay with him at home until my DH could get home. 

It worked out really well (for me anyway!).  My DH has a new appreciation of how hard it is to take a 3 year old on the subway everyday and how exhausting it can be to be "on" 24/7.  He helps out so much more now than he did before I was on bedrest. 

The hardest part was being away from my son.  He visited me in the hospital and would cry hysterically when it was time to leave.  But he got used to it (I kept telling him that mommies always come home and he started repeating it and finally accepted it).    He did really well though not jumping on me and being really gentle.  I told him I have a boo boo on my tummy and he couldn't climb on me, etc.

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options
    That's really sweet JillAly. My D was 2 and a half when I was on bedrest for 6 weeks. She too was taken to daycare very early in the am and picked up by my H when he got off. The hardest part for me was not seeing my D. At least I got to do some 'mommy things' while lying down like fixing her hair and clipping her nails. I'm dreading how this bedrest pregnancy will be with my now preschooler and a toddler newbie!
    Nutmeg, cilantro, sage, mint, thyme... these are a few of my favorite things! Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! We have four children; one left us too soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was on strict bedrest (at home luckily) for 16 weeks. Luckily it was summertime...and my husband's aunt came daily (she is a teacher, so she was not working). My father-in-law also came over and took DD to the park when he could (she is 2). My mom came for the last 6 weeks, right after my second hospital stay. Family was a lifesaver! It IS hard to be on bed rest when you have a toddler. I think the hardest thing for me was giving up control to others. By the end, I felt so big and uncomfortable that I realized I needed to just let others help! GL!
  • Options

I was just released from L&D to semi bedrest. But I really can't take care of DS because he is still very young and needs constitent attention. So my sister who is a SAHM said she would watch DS during day while DH is at work...She will come over monday morning and hang out for a bit so DS gets used to her. My MIL lives with us so she can always help out in evenings and my mom is around alot too.

Obvioulsy I can only give directions on what and when DS should eat, nap... but if I'm not there I have to trust everyone will do what they can to raise DS the way I want....

• Options

I'm not technically on bedrest but instead I'm on extremely restricted activity, and am supposed to be off my feet for most of the day (yeah basically bed rest). I have an almost 2.5 year old.

I'm supposed to plan to stay on restricted activity until 34 weeks.  I'll be 28 weeks on Monday.  

My parents are flying in on Wed for three weeks (they are retired) to help.  Then after Thanksgiving my MIL (also retired) will fly in for three weeks.  In the gaps in between my DH will either stay home or my mom friends will take DD to our regularly scheduled play dates or drop by our house for small play dates so they can basically chase after DD when she starts to do dangerous things (yank her off the furniture).  I hope it will work out.  I can walk around as needed, I'm just trying to stay put as much as I can.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am kind of taking the same approach as the other gals, though it really depends on whether you are on rest at home or at hospital.  With my 2nd pregnancy, my son wasnt even a year old when I went on bedrest, but my sister took him every day while DH was at work, since I was in the hospital.  This time, I have a 2.5 and 3.5 year old and I am on rest at home, so I am having to make sure there is someone here everyday, but also I am looking into some hired help to come fill in the days that noone is available.  I cant afford full time help like that, but here and there would be nice, and its so worth having a healthy baby!  Best of luck to you, I hope you feel supported and that people pull through for you to get you through this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"