February 2011 Moms
Options

Baby Classes / Grandmother vent

This is my first pregnancy and I feel that I don't know anything about babies, other then what I have read for the past 11 months.  I like to be prepared so I started reading all the books I could find as soon as my Hubby and I decided to do this.

So I originally wanted to take all the classes I could: Childbirth, Breast Feeding, Newborn Care and Amazing baby butI have hit a small road bump with being due in Feb and the holidays being in the middle of when most take classes. 

When I ask my 70 yr old grandmother (who can be a pain in the butt with all her old school ways and doesn't want listen to one thing I read in one of my books, but is the only family I have) about what I should do? She says stuff like "why do you need classes for this... women have been having babies forever without classes" or "Breastfeeding is self explained you put your breast in baby's mouth and it feeds." I love her but I really get tired of hearing her put me down for wanting the be the best mommy I can be.

So my question to my bump buddies out there... Are classes helpful?  If so, which classes do you recommend me taking? 

I will deffinatley take the Prepared Childbirth Class.  It is offered either Nov 13th & 14th or Jan 8th & 9th and I am due Feb 3rd.  Which would you do? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Baby Classes / Grandmother vent

• Options
    My MIL, who we live with, was a nurse for 30 years before she retired and said taking classes is a great idea and to our advantage. I am due a few days after you and wondering the same thing, to take classes sooner or closer to the due date. I don't want to forget anything, so I'm leaning towards January classes for the childbirth class, and maybe the breastfeeding class I'll take next month or December. I babysat and helped my raise my sister who is 10 years younger than me, but the more knowledge the better. 
    Best of luck! Veronica :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Childbirth is SO much different than it was when your grandmother had kids! The death/stillborn/mother's fatality rate is SO much lower now, thanks to newer hospitals, technology, drugs, policies -she should understand that!

I'm sure she just doesn't want you stressing so much, but I don't see anything wrong with wanting to take classes! Go for it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    She's just like my GMIL- doesn't see the sense in 'modern' stuff. A few years ago, DH and I took her out to lunch after church once and we paid $1.75 for unlimited refill sweet tea, and she threw a fit at how expensive it was!! Old people just see what was right with the old times and can't remember what was wrong.
    CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • Options

I would definitely take the prepared childbirth class. If it's anything like our they cover drugs, prep etc. you can tell grandma they didn't let you have input into decisions regarding birth like they do now. ;)  we start ours Monday it's 4 monday nights in Nov. Then I decided I wanted to take a breast feeding class too. The girls i work we recommended this. However some stated they got alot of info from the lactation consultant at the hospital once they delivered and actually had a baby to work with.

Whatever you plan to take i would see if others in the area have taken it and whether they found it worth it. I was looking at a few and after getting multiple comments regarding a certain on being a waste of time I decided to save money and time and skip it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Take the November class... Then if something happens and the class is canceled or you have to cancel for what ever reason, you still have the January option. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"