Kentucky Babies
Options

Lexington Hospitals: post your experiences!

My DH and I are considering switching providers - I'm 34 weeks.  I would love to hear anything anyone has to say about maternity hospitals in the Bluegrass region!

Re: Lexington Hospitals: post your experiences!

• Options

I know Central Baptist & St Joseph East are the hospitals most people in Lexingon choose.  I was in Central Baptist 3 days this weekend for a tubal pregnancy & I had great care from my doctors & nurses.  I am however, considering switching doctors offices because of the way I was treated by the staff at Lexington Womens Health.  If my questions & concerns were taken care of last week, I may still have had my right tube & could be working today.  Instead I ended up at the ER Friday night & did not return home until Monday afternoon (because of bleeding & complications after surgery). Then to top it off yesterday at my follow up visit the staff had no idea why I was there (for my appt) & asked me why I was there in front of everyone.  It bothers me that they didn't know why I was there.

Sorry this is so negative. I did get information from my doctor at Kentucky Diabetes & Endocrinology and they highly recommeded Women's Care Center. From talking to the staff there on the phone it seems like they are really nice & accomidating.  Here is the website:

https://www.womenscarecenter.com

This board is really slow so you may not get a lot of responses.  I hope you are able to find out everything that you need.

TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • Options

I've had experiences with both Central Baptist and St Joe East, and also with both offices the PP spoke of. I had a great experience with women's care center when one of the midwives, Beth, was still there (sadly, she died 4 years ago). Nancy delivered my son, and while I'm grateful that she saved me from what would have been a c-section, I have nothing else good to say about her. I didn't particularly like any of the doctors I met there. Melissa Courtney at LWH is awesome, and Dr. Fuson was good to me when I was dealing with severe hyperemesis in my third pregnancy. I didn't have a great experience with a couple of the other doctors. I really think it's just a huge toss-up due to personality conflicts and such, you know? Remember that with any large practice, you never know who will be there to deliver your baby, so find an office that you're comfortable with as a whole. I didn't have good birth experiences at either hospital, which led me to homebirth with my third, but I do think that SJE has changed for the better since I gave birth there 4.5 years ago.

Bethany, do you mind telling me who your doctor was at LWH? You can send me a pm if you'd like.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, y'all!  GHM, do you mind going into more detail about your negative experiences at both hospitals?  I actually would really prefer a homebirth, but my husband isn't so thrilled about it.  We don't live in Lexington and the nearest hospital to us is... horrifying, no really.  We were hoping to find a compromise hospital in Lexington - not as drastic as a homebirth, and also not as scary (and downright rude) as our local hospital.  We're both committed to an as-intervention-free-as-possible birth and need to find providers who will support that.  PM me if you'd rather!
  • Options
    I'll send you a PM later this weekend when I have more time! Do you mind telling me which county you're in?
  • Options

I had the best OB I could ask for through UK Healthcare - Dr. Miriam Marcum.  Love her, as do the 5+ people who recommended her to me. 

I was overall happy with my experience at through UK. 

Prenatal care -  excellent.  In and out every time, answered questions, etc.

Labor & delivery - didn't go as planned, but only because my labor happened so quickly.  No time for the epi I had planned.  But the nurses and Dr. Marcum were great and I made it through a natural birth without any issues.

Mother & baby -  A few nurses weren't my favorite, but overall, everything was fine.  They do complete room-in, which I liked, and the nurses leave you alone (as in, they don't hover), which I appreciated when being able to just hang out with my H and LO and our visitors.  Food was bad though. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had my DD at central baptist. I am a healthcare professional myself so I hold other healthare professionals to the highest standard when it comes to patient care. I had great experiences at Central Baptist and would recommend this facility to anyone. My Dr. was Dr. Parrott with Lexington OB/GYN. He is a wonderful doctor. The care I recieved was phenomenal.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"