Houston Babies

Help me get my supply back :(

I was super sick on Friday.  Begged H to take me to the emergency room, but in the end it subsided and I got much better.  I didn't eat or drink enough the next two days to keep up with my little man (3.5 months old) and had to supplement more than usual.  I was back to eating/drinking yesterday and today.  Still supplementing more than usual, but I just dont feel my supply coming back to where I was before I got sick Friday.  Not that I was EBFing but I was maintaining my own and keep formula bottles to 2 a day or less.  Now we are up to 3.

Will it come back?  Just going to take some time?

On the upside, I lost 6lbs over the weekend...lol! Probably not good...

Re: Help me get my supply back :(

• Nurse him as much as possible and eat oatmeal. 
  • You can also try adding a pumping session. Here's a very helpful video on how to increase supply with a breast pump

https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Add an extra pumping session, if you can, and drink lots of water to stay hydrated.  it will probably take a week or so, so be patient.
  • Nurse and nurse and nurse some more.

I lost 5lbs the previous weekend too (and that is a nasty stomach bug that is going around), but since DS is older and my supply more well established it didn't really take much of a hit. DS probably nursed more often while I was sick because my supply slowed down some, but you don't really ever run dry. So next time you're sick, keep nursing.

- Jena
  • It can take up to a week to get back to normal.  Maybe try getting some fenugreek and Mother's Milk Tea.  Also, drink a TON of water (almost 80-100oz) if possible.

Add in another nursing session or pumping session if you can.  I let my supply drop when DS was 6 months and I never did quite get it back to where it needed to be.  In hindsight, I should have woken up in the middle of the night for a few weeks to add in a pumping session, but I valued my sleep too much. 

• fenugreek for sure - take 3 pills 3 times a day and it will really help
  • I was a working mom who managed to nurse exclusively for a year.  My supply was in the gutters for a long time and I somehow managed to get it up a little. 

Nurse as much as you can, even more than you would.  Pump after every nursing session. 

Take Fenugreek 3 times a day, I took 3 tablets.

Oatmeal and ice cream also helped my supply. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"