Houston Babies

texas women's. experiences??

i'll be delivering at texas womens hospital  and was wondering if any of you also delivered there and what your experience was like?? how were the nurses... etc.

im a first time mom and would love to here any feedback you might have...

i am having a scheduled c-section so if you had anything to add about that it owuld be really helpful.

thanks in advance :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: texas women's. experiences??

• I delivered there last May.  I had an induction that turned into a c/s.  I had a terrific experience there.  I had read on this board that people had some bad things to say, but I have nothing but good things.  As soon as I delivered they took her to check her out because she had some heart decels on the monitor before being born, they had her maybe 3 minutes and then brought her to me while they were closing me up and let me hold her as long as I wanted.  I kept her until they wheeled me into recovery and then they took her out to the nursery to clean her up.  They let my husband go and stay with her.  As soon as I was in my room (maybe an hour later) they brought her right in to me. 

I had read on the boards that they would keep her for several hours in the nursery but they didn't. 

GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm not sure how well the search function is working these days, but you will find a lot of feedback in older forum posts.

I had a scheduled c-section there two years ago. The pre-op, OR, and anesthesiology nurses were phenomenal. I felt so well taken care of, and they kept me talking so I wouldn't get nervous. The anesthesiologist was running a little behind schedule, so I just had to sit there in the bright, scary OR waiting for him. They kept me distracted with all their chit-chat. 

The post-partum nurses left a lot to be desired. They are one of the reasons I am delivering elsewhere this time around. However, when you are only talking about a handful of people, a few bad apples can very easily spoil the bunch. There's no guarantee I'll have a better experience elsewhere, but I wanted to give it a try.

I know a number of people who have loved their Women's experience. Try not to worry, and be your own vocal advocate!

• Loading the player...
  • i tried to search older posts because i remembered seeing one when i first joined thebump, but i couldnt find anything! so weird.... but thanks for yalls feedback. its nice to hear it from someone whose been there. :)
  • I also had a good experience there as well, except the fact that my ob/gyn that I had been seeing for 9 months didn't show. If you go to OGA, don't expect your ob/gyn to be there even if they say they will.  Tongue Tied
  • 2 positive experiences. i always say it has more to do with your OB than the hospital but i would not hesitate to deliver at women's again
  • Both my girls were delivered at Womans.  #1 was a great experience and #1 was even better.  I would deliver there again in a heart beat!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't have an experience yet but looking forward to my delivery there! Thanks for posting...
  • I also had two great experiences at Woman's.  I was pleased with my delivery with #1, but had an even better experience with #2.  I had wonderful L&D nurses both times, and the post-partum nurses as well as the lactation consultants were better the second time around.  My son spent eight days in their NICU and he couldn't have had better nurses! I would deliver there again.
  • I too had a great experience at Women's. The first nurse I had was good but luckily I was there early in the morning and then the shift change happened and my nurse for the rest of delivery was awesome!!! I think some people are unhappy with the fact that they take the baby for a couple of hours? Not sure about how much time it was but honestly to me it felt like 15 minutes. I was so tired I didn't know what time it was after 4:41....:)

I was also there two times befoe delivery for a fever and both times I was happy with 95% of the nurses...

Good luck!

• I had a great experience at Woman's, and can't wait to do it again. I couldn't have asked for better L&D nurses. I went med-free and everyone was very supportive of that. They also set it up to where I could room in with baby and not have her taken to the nursery for observation. After 22 hours of labor I was exhausted and ended up letting them take her anyway. Good luck to you!
    DD 1 - Aug. 2010
    DD 2 - Jan. 2013
    Baby Boy -  EDD April 12, 2015

• imageTexasPaige:

I'm not sure how well the search function is working these days, but you will find a lot of feedback in older forum posts.

I had a scheduled c-section there two years ago. The pre-op, OR, and anesthesiology nurses were phenomenal. I felt so well taken care of, and they kept me talking so I wouldn't get nervous. The anesthesiologist was running a little behind schedule, so I just had to sit there in the bright, scary OR waiting for him. They kept me distracted with all their chit-chat. 

The post-partum nurses left a lot to be desired. They are one of the reasons I am delivering elsewhere this time around. However, when you are only talking about a handful of people, a few bad apples can very easily spoil the bunch. There's no guarantee I'll have a better experience elsewhere, but I wanted to give it a try.

I know a number of people who have loved their Women's experience. Try not to worry, and be your own vocal advocate!

Couldn't have said it better. OR staff was amazing, post-partum nurses not so much (one nurse told me I couldn't send my DS to the nursery at night b/c he was too fussy).  I won't go back, but I have heard just as many people who have a great experience.  

• I loved Texas Woman's Hospital! I delivered our first baby girl Hannah there this past June! Everyone was very friendly and made me feel really secure and calm being that this was my first baby and all. I would suggest taking the hospital tour prior to your stay.
  • We had good experience both times. The second was better, even though it included the NICU. Not something you want, but the hospital was very good with us during that week.

Both were c-sections.

Some tips I learned: take your meds and have them write down your last dose on the board and when you can get your next. That helps you keep track and stay focused if you need to. Ask about all your relief options.

Pump your morphine once per interval. They take it away eventually. I was happier the second time and it was probably because I managed my pain better. (Even though more was asked of me with the baby in NICU - I did better with the pain.)

Be candid about your needs, concerns, and questions. It makes it easier for them to address them when they know or to make a change if something is not right. Don't like the answer? Ask someone else.

Rest while you can. You'll be at home on your own soon enough. Take advantage of the help and rest.

Good luck with everything.

• I had a scheduled c-section at Woman's 10 weeks ago.  My experience is a bit different as I was under general anesthesia due to platelet issues. 

My husband and I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the facility.  Our nurses were amazing (I was there for 5 days/ 4 nights and we only had one "bad" nurse the entire stay) which made our stay great!

I loved that we had a nurse specifically for the baby as it really helped to have an expert there to help with feeding, pooping, bathing questions we had about taking care of her!

I also loved that I had a menu to order off of and found the food to be decent as well. 

One thing to be aware of is the time the baby will spend in the transition nursery.  I was recovery from general so it didn't matter much in my situation but be aware that it may be 4 hours after you deliver until your baby is in your room.

Good luck!

• I had a bad experience at Texas Women's.  I was really opposed to a C-section and ended up having one.  At the time I didn't realize that Women's has the highest C-section rate in the city. 

I delivered in 2009 and what bothered me the most is that I got to see my daughter for 15 minutes and then they took her away and I didn't get to see her for 4 hours.  I have heard this is the hospitals policy.  After you've waited 9 months to see your child, the last thing you want to do is wait 4 hours.  Which is one of the worst things to do if you plan to nurse.

Pretty much an all around awful experience for me.  Not impressed with any of the nurses I had.  Definitely will not deliver there next time.   

• imagebevo6:

I had a bad experience at Texas Women's.  I was really opposed to a C-section and ended up having one.  At the time I didn't realize that Women's has the highest C-section rate in the city. 

I delivered in 2009 and what bothered me the most is that I got to see my daughter for 15 minutes and then they took her away and I didn't get to see her for 4 hours.  I have heard this is the hospitals policy.  After you've waited 9 months to see your child, the last thing you want to do is wait 4 hours.  Which is one of the worst things to do if you plan to nurse.

Pretty much an all around awful experience for me.  Not impressed with any of the nurses I had.  Definitely will not deliver there next time.   

Putting this statistic in perspective, Woman's Hospital specializes in high-risk pregnancies, which lead to c-sections more often than typical healthy pregnancies.

• imageNanner:
    imagebevo6:

I had a bad experience at Texas Women's.  I was really opposed to a C-section and ended up having one.  At the time I didn't realize that Women's has the highest C-section rate in the city. 

Putting this statistic in perspective, Woman's Hospital specializes in high-risk pregnancies, which lead to c-sections more often than typical healthy pregnancies.

Yes, and I also heard once that they deliver over 800 babies a month, which was something like more than 2x any other hospital in Houston.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"