Blended Families

Any former single Mom's here?

I just need someone to give me hope :( As if dating wasn't hard enough the first time around, now I am navigating it with 3 kids while working 2 jobs. I'm exhausted. My dating life right now seems to be a big ole joke on me. I'm so frustrated and quite frankly, just tired of being alone. I know plenty of people who have found love in a similar situation, but I just need to hear some uplifting stories. I just got dumped tonight by a guy who had real potential and I am just heartbroken. So, any good stories to share? Let me live vicariously through you :)
Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45

Re: Any former single Mom's here?

• imageMominator:
     So, any good stories to share? Let me live vicariously through you :)

Gawd, me too.  I am too exhausted to date. 

::watching thread for responses:: 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I met my DH when DS was 13 months old.  I truly believes that everything happens for a reason.  When I was getting divorced, I ended up having to work nights.  (thank God for my parents)  I was exhausted, Nathan has special needs, so it was therapy in the morning and working until midnight and being up with him bright and early.

I never thought I would ever meet anyone, someone I work with (who I didn't even know very well) turned around one day and said "I know the perfect guy for you"  I thought she was nuts, but I was game.  On our 2nd date I straight out asked him if he was interested or not, I had a child and I wasn't playing games.  2 years later we were married and then had our girls.  DH is Nathan's "dad" in every sense of the word.  It can happen.

• Loading the player...
  • I totally understand your frustration and exhaustion. I had my son when I was 18, after my then-boyfriend decided to leave 3 days after I told him I was pregnant. I was single until he was 3, when I met and later married my now ex-husband (wait, the story gets better, I promise), who adopted my son. Although we divorced 4 years later, he's still a major part of my son's life, and very involved.

Since the divorce 4 years ago, I have dated a bot, met some great guys, and some yucky ones. Then a year and a half ago, I met my now-boyfriend, a single dad of 2 boys, and we combined our households back in January, and are now expecting a baby girl together in March. He's amazing, and everything I've been looking for, for a LONG time, even when I thought I had found it the first time around.

I promise, good things DO happen, and it WILL happen for you.....just enjoy the time you have now to focus on your little ones, but make sure you take some time for yourself as well. It may take longer to find him, but he's out there, and probably just as frustrated with the dating scene as you are. Timing is everything. :)

I'll keep you in my thoughts....keep us updated as well. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mom - I've seen many of your other posts on various boards, and you seem like a very sweet person! Just relax and keep the mentality "It is what it is"... Something fabulous will come your way :) I know it!

Keep your chin up :)

• I met my ex when I was in 9th grade but we didn't start "dating" until 11th grade. So to say that I am/was inexperienced at dating is a bit of an understatement! When I was single I was 23 and with a child. I though who in their right mind would want that kind of baggage? I assumed I was doomed to be single forever. I met my dh on New Years Eve at a club. I wasn't even ready & didn't even want to be in a relationship but I guess there was a higher power looking out for me. We got married last year & now have a beautiful little girl. Love will come to you when you least expect it. Just try to be patient & don't stress yourself out. God is just searching for the perfect man to add to your family.

• i was single for 2 years. i have three kids...at this point they were about 6 yrs old, 4 yrs old and 2 yrs old. when my ex husband left they were 5 yrs old, 3 yrs old and not even 2 months old. i went through many losers...i worked a full time job and when i wasnt at work i was at home with my kids...i was very tired. like i said i went through many losers....i wont even list them all here. about 1 yr ago in august...i met my future husband. we dated and yes it was exhausting...we stayed up all night most nights just to talk...and then went off to work the next day...but it was all we could do...it was well worth it. well worth it. he moved in many many months later, then we moved to a new place together, got engaged...got married last sunday. he has a son, who lives in another state...he took my kids in as his own, since my children have a dead beat as a father
    Photobucket BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • I am a mom on two daughters who have different dads.  My oldest was right after high school and we were never married.  My youngest is almost 5 and I was married to her dad for 3 misserable years.  He was and probably always will be an alcholic.  I got divorced and dated for a while and decided to take a break.  One weekend I decided to sign up for Match.com.  I met my now Fiance on there.  We started just emailing for months and then just took it really slow.  He doesn't have any kids but loves my daughters like they are his own.  I am now dealing with my youngest dad who got a DUI shortly after droping my daughter off to me.  We went to court and her dad basically said he wanted to just sign his rights away.  I feel really sorry for my daughter but know she will have an amazing father figure in her life now!  Like the others have said......its seems to happen when you least expect it, so enjoy the good times with your children and know that one day you will meet your prince charming!
  • I was a single mom until a year ago.

I dated my daughter's (14) dad on and off more off than on, for 15 years. During one of our off times I started a relationship with my son's dad (5). Obviously neither of these relationships worked, we just were meant for each other.

I grew up attending the same church as my husband, so he's been a friend for as long as I can remember. After a few weeks of hanging out, we started dating, and a few weeks later he proposed.

It seemed that as soon as I got comfortable with being single (I stopped the cycle with my daughter's dad), my husband found me.

Don't lose hope, the person that's meant for you is out there and will show up when you least expect it.

•  I had DS when I was 18. His father completely lied about alomost everything I thought I new about him. We dated for six months before I got pregnant and I saw the real him when I was about two months pregnant. I wanted to run but everyone told me to try to work it out because he was the father of my child. I finally broke up with him when DS was 3 weeks old. BF never really helped with anything except I got $20 every now and then.

For most of the first year I worked part time (35 hrs) as a 3rd shift waitress. When I wasn't working I was at home sleeping or taking care of DS. My roomate at the time would watch DS every once in a while so I could go out but I just didn't have time for any sort of meaning full relationship.

DH was really sick and in the hospital for  his 1st birthday and had been really sick for months so I had quit working to take care of him and we moved in with my dad. I had a little more time to go out but I wasn't comfortable leaving DS with anyone. I still went on dates but nothing long lasting.

When DS got better I got a 30 hr a week retail job and started going to school which was also considered full time. My dating life got a little better since I was meeting people at school but I didn't have much time to go on actual dates.

I later found another job closer to home but I ended up getting fired. Officially it was a bogus reason but it was because I wouldn't date my manager. I looked for a job after that but never found one so at this point I was just in school and taking care of DS. I had two longer relationships at the point but they didn't work out. After this I became a Christian which made dating even harder. I wasn't willing to date someone who wasn't and the Christian guys that I came into contact with were either married or weren't interested in dating a single mom.

A few weeks later I remembered one of my dad's friends that I had met a year or so earlier. I thought he was cute at the time but he was newly divorced and was a Christian. I wasn't interested in either at the time but now I decided to see if I could find him on myspace and I did. We talked every night that week and then decided to meet up. This was right after Easter. Things moved really fast. We got engaged in June and had planned our wedding for October. DH then had mandatory overtime at work and we lived an hour away as it was. The only way for me to have any sort of time with him was for me to move in. We didn't want to live together without being married so we ended up getting married before our "big" wedding. This was in August. Most of the people who came to our October wedding didn't know we were already married.

Everything with DH happened very fast but it's worked out well for us. I don't think everyone should do things as fast as we did but my point is that for the first year and a half of DS's life things were hard and I was very lonely. I thought I would be a single tired mom forever. When things started to happen it pretty unexpected. I couldn't have predicted the next "steps" Dh and I took very long at all before they happend.  If someone had told me in March that by August I would be happily married I would have thought they were crazy.

I know it sucks at times to be a single mom but for all you know you'll meet your Mr. Right tomorrow.

• Me!  I was a single Mom for 9 years.  I know how you feel...DS' father was never around to help and rarely paid child support.  I felt like everything rolled into one, as most single moms do.  

I met DH about a year and a half ago.  We just clicked - he's 42, and I'm 32, and we had been through the dating scene enough to date without all the crap and games getting in the way.  We got married in May, and it has been such a change in lifestyle.  

I know this sounds cliche, but I honestly met him at a time I was least expecting to.  I had taken an entire year off from dating, and even from thinking about men!  I really just spent that year focusing on myself and my son, and it was almost a year to the day that DH and I met.  And I was ready for it.  Past relationships I'd had, I wasn't ready for because I was so mentally zapped.  I was miserable and unhappy and of course I couldn't find a man to help - I had to come to a point where I was happy no matter where I was in life.  You know?  

I'm not saying that's what you need to do, since I don't know you :)  But it definitely can happen and it might happen when you are least expecting it to! 

• I divorced ex when my son was 6 weeks old. I met DH 11 months later when I was not looking and had NO interest in dating. Sparks flew. We got married a year later. DH is the best thing that could have happened to us. He and my son love each other and DS doesn't remember him not being in his life. You will find someone when the time is right, probably when you aren't looking. Good luck!
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"