Baby Showers

what if instead of "Thank You" notes....

MIL went to a shower a few weeks ago, and when I went over for lunch today, she had a thank you note with a chocolate bar that had a cover with the newborn's stats and birthday. I thought it was super cute and thoughtful, but my shower is at 33 weeks and I don't want to be rude and wait up to 8 weeks to send Thank You notes. MIL had already suggested making chocolate covers as birth announcements for people that come visit the first couple of weeks, but now I'm tempted to include then in the Thank You notes. I guess my question is, a) what do you think? b) Would it be rude to wait up to 8 weeks to send Thank You notes?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: what if instead of "Thank You" notes....

• imagekdodge423:

Are you doing this instead of or along with the thank you notes?

Instead of is tacky a fvck and should not be done. You need to at least thank them for what they actually gave you.

With- meh, whatever. You realize that would drastically up the postage, right? And if it is warm, you are potentially looking at a nasty mess in the mail. I'd rather have them done before baby is born so it's one less thing to mess with.

This, all of this.  Don't be lazy.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • It looks to me like you're talking about including a candy bar WITH - not instead of - a thank-you note, and your question is about the timing. I agree with you that 8 weeks is too long of a delay and, while I guess the candybars are a cute enough idea, it would be awkward to mail. I'd skip it.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageBallSox:
    imagekdodge423:

Instead of is tacky a fvck and should not be done. You need to at least thank them for what they actually gave you.

With- meh, whatever. You realize that would drastically up the postage, right? And if it is warm, you are potentially looking at a nasty mess in the mail. I'd rather have them done before baby is born so it's one less thing to mess with.

I'm saying along with Thank You notes. I'm due in January, so the weather isn't a concern. and it's only for the couple dozen people that will attend my shower, so postage isn't a concern. My question was is 8 weeks too late to send thank yous, but thanks for your input.

• I don't think 8 weeks is necessarily too late...are you planning on writing them right after the shower and just saving them until the baby is born to send with the chocolates? Sounds cute :)

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• I wouldn't wait 8 weeks to start the notes... BUT, a late 'Thank You' note is better than no note at all.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'd send the TY's out ASAP after the shower, and maybe send the chocolate bars with (or instead of) birth announcements to close friends/family - maybe those that attend the shower... or keep them on hand to give to visitors who come by to see the baby once she's home with you.  I do think 8 weeks is too long to wait on TY's.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I didn't get my TY's out until 5 weeks, but 8 weeks is pushing it a little.  Also keep in mind, with a brand new LO taking up all of your time, there is a chance you may not get to them in the first week or two, so it may be even longer than 8 weeks.  Like PP said, I would go ahead and do your TY's right away and do the chocolate as announcements to close family and friends.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMichelleL1118:
    I'd send the TY's out ASAP after the shower, and maybe send the chocolate bars with (or instead of) birth announcements to close friends/family - maybe those that attend the shower... or keep them on hand to give to visitors who come by to see the baby once she's home with you.  I do think 8 weeks is too long to wait on TY's.

this is exactly what I was thinking.  I'd send out simple prompt thank you cards and then just stick with the chocolate idea as a birth announcement.  I don't like the idea of a birth announcement/thank you combo, anyway.. they should be two separate things IMO and yes, I think 8 weeks is too long.  

• imageirlndsumer:
    I didn't get my TY's out until 5 weeks, but 8 weeks is pushing it a little.  Also keep in mind, with a brand new LO taking up all of your time, there is a chance you may not get to them in the first week or two, so it may be even longer than 8 weeks.  Like PP said, I would go ahead and do your TY's right away and do the chocolate as announcements to close family and friends.

I hadn't really taken that into consideration. The chocolate bar I saw at MIL's house today was from October 28, 2010, so in my head I thought late November shower, mid-January Thank Yous with Chocolates. But you're right, unless I have someone send them for me (which looks ungrateful even I have the TY ready ahead of time) they won't get out til February the earliest. 

• Personally, I'd send the thank you notes out right away after the shower and if you want to do the chocolate bars...just send them with announcements.  You are going to find you have very little free time when you first get home from the hospital after the baby is born and you will get even more gifts after baby is born that you will have to write thank you's for.
  • Yes, I do think it would be rude to wait 8 weeks to send thank you notes. The norm is to get them out within 2 weeks, and I even felt bad that I didn't have them all done in a week. 

I'm not sure if you meant that you are going to include the chocolate bar along with the thank you note or not, but I also think it would be incredibly rude not to send a personal, hand-written thank you note.  

• imageMichelleL1118:
    I'd send the TY's out ASAP after the shower, and maybe send the chocolate bars with (or instead of) birth announcements to close friends/family - maybe those that attend the shower... or keep them on hand to give to visitors who come by to see the baby once she's home with you.  I do think 8 weeks is too long to wait on TY's.

YesSounds like good advice to me!

• Write the thank you notes as soon as you get your gifts. You shouldn't combine a birth announcement and a thank you note. 
  • imageBallSox:
    imagekdodge423:

Yes
  • imageirlndsumer:
    I didn't get my TY's out until 5 weeks, but 8 weeks is pushing it a little.  Also keep in mind, with a brand new LO taking up all of your time, there is a chance you may not get to them in the first week or two, so it may be even longer than 8 weeks.  Like PP said, I would go ahead and do your TY's right away and do the chocolate as announcements to close family and friends.

This. I wouldn't wait to get your shower TY's out, keep in mind you will also get gifts once the baby is here that you will need to send out TY's for so you don't want people getting two TY's the same day for gifts they gave you 8 weeks apart.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC#2 October 2011. June 2012 diagnosed with mild PCOS and both tubes blocked.
    10/1/12 miracle BFP 11/12/12 missed m/c (9w2d), baby stopped growing at 7 weeks
    1/16/13 BFP, EDD 9/27/13, m/c 1/19/13
    imagephoto rainbowleavesbadge-1_zpsa9246b63.jpg
    2/12/13 BFP, EDD 10/25/13 Please stick little one
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    A stowaway on board! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"