School-Aged Children
Options

Getting 5/6 y.o.'s interested in extra-cirricular activities

Both of my boys just started playing youth soccer at the YMCA for the first time.  They are 5 and 6.5.  They are on the same team.

They play for an hour.  For the first 20 minutes or so they are excited about it, but after that they peter out and want to stop "it's too hard" and the whole she-bang.

How do I keep them interested?  I don't want my kids to grow up and be lazy, but I don't want them to associate sports as "not fun" because mom kept pushing them too hard.

Any suggestions?

TIA.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Getting 5/6 y.o.'s interested in extra-cirricular activities

• Options

have they tried out any other sports? 

Maybe soccer just isn't for them.  Maybe try out baseball as there is a little less running involved. 

We have told ds that he must play at least one sport.  My main reason for pushing him with this is that my parents did not do this with me and I didn't play any sports growing up.  I now regret it and wish my parents would have pushed me a bit more.  We let ds pick which sport he wants to play and if he wants to do more then one then we're good with that too. 

• Options
    How is the program run?  Are they switching up activities enough to keep the kids interested?  Giving them short breaks to catch their breath and drink some water?  DD was in a great program, but DS's really wasn't too great.  Too many repetitive practice drills vs. different activities to practice skills. He hated it and was bored fast. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree with trying some other sports. We tried DS in soccer for two seasons, he just didn't care much for it. He likes playing it casually, but he lacks a competitive spirit, and it just wasn't for him.

Right now, we have him in Tae Kwon Do, and he is absolutely loving it. He's always liked ninjas, and doing "moves", so now that he's actually learning something he already enjoys, I think it's going to maintain his interest.  I honestly just don't feel that DS is going to be athletic, and that's okay, but I'm glad we found something active he can enjoy.

So try some other sports or activities, and I bet you'll find one they really enjoy.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"