Attachment Parenting

Does anyone know much about RIE?

It stands for Resources for Infant Educarers, and it seems like kind on an interesting philosophy....treating infants as people rather than objects (i.e. telling them you're going to pick them up before doing it), narrating goings-on to them, getting rid of all the noise-toys. However, one of the things they teach is that you shouldn't sing or rock your baby. WHA???? I can't, for the life of me, figure out why not and I can't find it online. Does anyone know about this approach?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Does anyone know much about RIE?

• I don't know anything about it, but I swear, every time I find a theory or philosophy that seems to make sense to me there ends up being at least one wackadoo component I dislike.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagejoirish:
    I don't know anything about it, but I swear, every time I find a theory or philosophy that seems to make sense to me there ends up being at least one wackadoo component I dislike.

This!

I know nothing about RIE but maybe they feel it is "infantilizing" (sp?!) them since we dont' usually rock/sing to other adults? Sounds silly to me though!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageStarlitRN:

imagejoirish:
    I don't know anything about it, but I swear, every time I find a theory or philosophy that seems to make sense to me there ends up being at least one wackadoo component I dislike.

This!

I know nothing about RIE but maybe they feel it is "infantilizing" (sp?!) them since we dont' usually rock/sing to other adults? Sounds silly to me though!

Oh, that would make sense....(I mean, not ACTUAL sense, but in the context of the philosophy, haha.) 

• DH was just singing to me today while he was getting ready for work, does that mean he was "infantilizing" me? As for the rocking, I still completely calm down/zone out/fall asleep during any kind of sustained motion like long car or train rides.

I'm with pp, the no singing/no rocking thing sounds like a "wackadoo component." But I don't know anything else about RIE.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Rocking has been scientifically shown to soothe by stimulating the vestibular system in the brain. Adults have hammocks & boats, babies have rocking chairs, slings & swings.

Definitely whackadoodle, although the rest of it sounds interesting. 

• imagewebMistress0609:

Rocking has been scientifically shown to soothe by stimulating the vestibular system in the brain. Adults have hammocks & boats, babies have rocking chairs, slings & swings.

Definitely whackadoodle, although the rest of it sounds interesting. 

I used to get insomnia before DS was born...after he was born and I spent so much time rocking him I realized that it put ME to sleep.  If I ever can't sleep, now I know what to do!

And I don't think that's the only whackadoo thing about it....

• All I know about it is what I found when I came across Janet Lansbury's site, and she comes across as whackadoodle sometimes as well. 

The basic point of RIE seems to be respecting your infant as a person which to me is very AP.  Another major point is allowing your child free exploration during their awake time (no swings/jumpers/centers/carriers(notAP) etc.) while you have "you" time and then focusing your love and nurturing during feeding, changing etc.  All the references I've found dealing with sleep are vague but I'm curious as to the philosophy. 

For a while Lansbury liked to make a big show of belittling her version of AP but here recent posts seem pretty toned down.   Magda Gerber (the "founder" of RIE) has a book or two but there are none in our state libraries.  I'd like to read it eventually out of curiosity. 

• I sent you a PM. Let me know if you get it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJelliebean1982:
    I sent you a PM. Let me know if you get it.

Got it!  Sent you one back!

• I tried to read her book but when she got to horseplay being disrespectful and tickling (of any kind) being abuse I had to stop.

It felt very montessori/reggio/waldorf in that it focuses on respecting the child and assuming that your baby is intelligent...but then falls short of actually following your child's leads.

I remember reading the paragraph about horseplay out loud to husband and then saying "Wonder what she would say about horseplay if she saw Baz try and dive out of my arms just so I'll hold him upside down while he shrieks hilariously?" seriously - at the mall yesterday that was all he would do. And when I transferred him to the football hold he spun and spun until I almost dropped him. Magda would have been APPALLED.

• imageEmmieB:

I tried to read her book but when she got to horseplay being disrespectful and tickling (of any kind) being abuse I had to stop.

It felt very montessori/reggio/waldorf in that it focuses on respecting the child and assuming that your baby is intelligent...but then falls short of actually following your child's leads.

I remember reading the paragraph about horseplay out loud to husband and then saying "Wonder what she would say about horseplay if she saw Baz try and dive out of my arms just so I'll hold him upside down while he shrieks hilariously?" seriously - at the mall yesterday that was all he would do. And when I transferred him to the football hold he spun and spun until I almost dropped him. Magda would have been APPALLED.

So was StarlitRN write about the singing/rocking part or was it something else?  I'm really dying to know, since singing and rocking are such strong mothering instincts....

The emphasis on assuming your baby is intelligent and worth of respect is something that I honestly don't see in many parenting philosophies, so it piqued my curiosity.  But you're so right: how can you be "respectful" of your baby if he CLEARLY loves horseplay and tickling and you refuse to do it?  Strange, strange, strange.  But not boring, anyway!

• imageWyoGal:

Another major point is allowing your child free exploration during their awake time (no swings/jumpers/centers/carriers(notAP) etc.) while you have "you" time and then focusing your love and nurturing during feeding, changing etc. 

Not being snarky, but I am honestly curious about what this "free exploration" time involves for a small infant. I just realized recently that DD probably preferred to be held while sleeping in the early days because she was not comfortable lying flat on her back. She hated tummy time as well. For these reasons, our inclined bouncer chair and swing were amazing for her and would give me some downtime to eat or take a shower, activities that I skipped all too much in those early days. I would love to know how she could have freely explored the world around her if I just put her on the floor? She didn't have the muscle control yet to be doing anything but lying flat on her tummy or back then.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageanna7602:
    imageWyoGal:

Another major point is allowing your child free exploration during their awake time (no swings/jumpers/centers/carriers(notAP) etc.) while you have "you" time and then focusing your love and nurturing during feeding, changing etc. 

Not being snarky, but I am honestly curious about what this "free exploration" time involves for a small infant. I just realized recently that DD probably preferred to be held while sleeping in the early days because she was not comfortable lying flat on her back. She hated tummy time as well. For these reasons, our inclined bouncer chair and swing were amazing for her and would give me some downtime to eat or take a shower, activities that I skipped all too much in those early days. I would love to know how she could have freely explored the world around her if I just put her on the floor? She didn't have the muscle control yet to be doing anything but lying flat on her tummy or back then.

I had the same thoughts when I read that and was just going to post the same thing. 

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageBelhurstBride:
    imageanna7602:
    imageWyoGal:

I had the same thoughts when I read that and was just going to post the same thing. 

from what I gathered at this age (which I honestly skimmed because by the time I got the book Baz was already crawling) is that this is time where the baby is safe and comfortable and happy and is observing/enjoying the environment (which, again, is a Montessori infant overlap) 

I counted it when we would walk to the park and I would leave him either on the blanket or in his stroller and let him look at the trees and the birds and eat his toes or whatever while I ate lunch and read. Those were nice days. Now I spend my time rescuing him from himself ;-)

As for singing and reading and such - I don't think I got to that part - or it was in what I skimmed because he was already too old.

• imageanna7602:

Not being snarky, but I am honestly curious about what this "free exploration" time involves for a small infant.

Not snarky at all.  I find this to be the most incredulous part of the whole thing.  Basically it's creating a safe space for LO to lie on their back awake with toys/household objects that are within reach and allowing them to learn on their own how to change positions etc.

I'm pretty certain if creating a safe space for your infant so they would entertain themselves was that easy we wouldn't have a multi-billion dollar infant toy/gear industry.  I'm very skeptical of the toy industry but I'm pretty certain parents aren't buying all this stuff because "well, my child will lay by themselves with a cheap bowl for large chunks of time but I want them to have this flashing gizmo".  Lansbury presents it (to me) as a "of course babies want time to themselves to explore their world and we always interrupt them and give them too much which is why they are unhappy and then you create a viscious cycle and end up holding them all the time".  I don't buy it. 

I am however, more cognizant of not interrupting M and I think there's a valid point in there about jumping in to a baby/child's independent play too often and I will likely pay a bit more attention to making sure even in the infant phase if LO2 is happy and content by themselves I not interrupt them.  

• i just stumbled upon her website a few days ago and while i liked most of what she had to say, i think this approach, like all other parenting styles, is best when adapted for your child individually. 

also, it was my understanding that the "not rocking/singing" thing was more like a caution against doing it all the time - sometimes kids just need to cry it out. as an adult, i sometimes feel like i just need a good cry, you know? granted that could be the pregnancy hormones but i do feel better when i let it all out. so you don't continually have to shush or calm or entertain or distract them to keep them from suffering or crying - let them vent and work it out, while still being supportive and nearby. that's what i took from it, anyway. 
  • I follow Lansbury's FB postings, and, like you guys, I think there is a lot of good stuff about RIE, especially in the respect department.  But I think they take it too far in the infant stages especially, and it seems like less actually understanding what a baby is "thinking" than taking a guess that works for the theory.  I think I use more aspects of it as DD gets older.  

Overall, it presents some very interesting perspectives to contemplate and consider when deciding how you want to parent in any particular stage.  But I certainly wouldn't use it as a "recipe book" by any means.
    IMG_8355
  • Ditto PPs - I like the RIE ideas around free play/exploration, and around respecting kids as people (I also like a lot of what she has to say around remaining calm during tantrums!), and how to set and maintain age-appropriate boundaries, but I think a lot of the infant stuff is a little bonkers (no, I'm not going to leave DD in a blinking exersaucer all day, but I am going to wear her while we run errands on the subway, etc.). Anyway, as with so many things (even AP!), I'll pick and choose the facets that work for us.
  • Ooh I'm so glad someone did a post about RIE! I'm pretty new to it, but love it (for the most part) so far. I'm using it more and more as DS (15 mos.) gets into toddlerhood.

Things I like about RIE:
    That the general philosophy is respecting your child as a whole person (same reason I love AP!)
    The "wait and observe" approach- I learn so much about DS by watching him and holding back my reaction, which helps me be a better mother to him.
    "Active toys create passive babies, passive toys create active babies." I tell this to all the moms in my infant Kindermusik classes! It's so true!
    Watching my son figure things out on his own is ten times more satisfying than doing it for him, even if it takes longer.
    The approach to food seems to be right in line with BLW.

Things I don't love:
    In her book, Magda Gerber advocates for the Ferber method. I disagree with any type of CIO sleep training. You can respect a child as you would an adult without expecting him to behave like an adult. And infant sleep patterns just aren't the same as adults. Respecting the stage they're in means allowing them to wake you in the night if they need you.
    She's against a sling or carrier. Whaaa? How can you live??
  • Ooh I'm so glad someone did a post about RIE! I'm pretty new to it, but love it (for the most part) so far. I'm using it more and more as DS (15 mos.) gets into toddlerhood.

Things I like about RIE:
    That the general philosophy is respecting your child as a whole person (same reason I love AP!)
    The "wait and observe" approach- I learn so much about DS by watching him and holding back my reaction, which helps me be a better mother to him.
    "Active toys create passive babies, passive toys create active babies." I tell this to all the moms in my infant Kindermusik classes! It's so true!
    Watching my son figure things out on his own is ten times more satisfying than doing it for him, even if it takes longer.
    The approach to food seems to be right in line with BLW.

Things I don't love:
    In her book, Magda Gerber advocates for the Ferber method. I disagree with any type of CIO sleep training. You can respect a child as you would an adult without expecting him to behave like an adult. And infant sleep patterns just aren't the same as adults. Respecting the stage they're in means allowing them to wake you in the night if they need you.
    She's against a sling or carrier. Whaaa? How can you live??

Oops. This was me! For some reason I was logged in with the SN I used ages ago on the Knot. Silly Bump.
  • Ahh! Still the wrong SN! This is musicalmama5.
  • Apparently it signs me in wrong when I use my phone. Anyway, that was me above. OK, I'm done hijacking the post now. Back to RIE talk!
  • I just stumbled on RIE and was loving it until I saw the "no carriers" rule Bd that she advocates for no baby talk. I'm a speech therapist and it's actually well documented that baby talk, or motherese is actually hugely important for helping a baby learn prosody and specific sounds/phonemes of their language.

I guess I'll just take what I like and ignore the rest!?
  • deuxdeux member
    I'm with PP's - parts of RIE I love (respecting child as a person, allowing them to struggle and figure things out, wait and observe, don't interrupt them), but other parts were absolutely ridiculous to me. I feel like the toddler/older child stuff was pretty good, but virtually everything relating to infants was WAY off. I don't think a six month old should be expected to play in a separate room for an hour while I make dinner. I don't think letting a two year old cry over being frustrated learning a new skill is the same as letting an infant cry to sleep. I can't get behind anyone who recommends Ferber and cautions against baby wearing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"