Detroit Babies

Black Spots - Pre - E?

I'm stressed at work today - angry and stressed.  I stood up to go to the break room for my lunch and while I was standing there it seemed like there were a bunch of fruit flies in my peripheral vision.  When I turned I realized it was just tiny black spots in my vision. 

I've read that it's one of the symptoms of Pre-E but is 18 weeks too early to experience it?  I realized it might be so I forced myself to calm down, really down and take deep breaths.  I'm sure my blood pressure was high from being so angry and I knew I was hungry for lunch too.  

Thoughts?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Black Spots - Pre - E?

• Were you dizzy at all?

I used to get little black spots in my vision, but it was always right before I got dizzy.  Mine was caused by low blood pressure and because Lucas was planted on my major vein that returns blood to the brain.  It started at about 17 weeks.

Mommy's little helper :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No - I don't think so but I guess I could have been, I just remember standing at the counter in the break room and seeing spots.  Regardless, it was enough sign to me to calm down and take a breather from work.  I was getting way too worked up over a few things. 
  • Loading the player...
  • That's freaky.  I would call your OB and ask just to be safe. 
  • anemia runs in my family and I usually have border line low iron levels. I would get black spots when I got up or after a run sometimes. Can you call and ask your iron levels from your last blood draw? Does you prenatal have lots of iron?

ETA: time to go have a nice big steak, spinach and some broccoli.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was anemic before I got pregnant but my doctor told me to go ahead and go off the extra iron because it was "backing me up" and my iron levels appeared to be good.  That's a good question though...

I just had my blood drawn on Monday for my quad screen so they should have the results from that in a few days.  

• If you were really stressed, it's possible your bp was high and that's what caused the spots.  Most of the symptoms associated with pre-e is pretty much the same things you experience with high bp. The thing with pre-e is usually your bp doesn't go down, so the symptoms don't go away. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had pre-e, but no black spots.  Do you have a blood pressure monitor at home?  You could try that and see if your bp is staying elevated.  Like pp said, your bp won't go down if you have pre-e. 

FWIW, I had pretty bad swelling, esp on one side and on my face, and a sudden unexplained weight gain (10 lbs in 2 weeks), in addition to high (and climbing) bp and protein in my urine.  It showed up at 34 weeks (everything was ok at my 32 week appt).

I would call your dr just to be safe...GL!

• Oh, and after I delivered my bp started to go back up again so they were worried about that.  I was told that as long as I didn't have protein in my urine again, I wouldn't have to go back on the magnesium and they would just monitor my bp and possibly put me on bp meds (thankfully, I didn't, and my bp returned to normal about 2 weeks later).

I also had a friend who battled pre-e her entire pregnancy.  They put her on bp meds and often had her do the 24 hour urine test.  So even if you are experiencing some early signs of pre-e, I would bet they could just monitor you unless protein shows up in your urine.  My friend delivered at 37 weeks and everything was fine:)

• I never had pre E, but I did see black spots a couple of times in the shower at 30+ weeks. I never brought it up to my OBGYN b/c it had not even crossed my thoughts at the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"