Attachment Parenting

Educate Me: Why Are Wraps So Expensive?

I feel like I must be missing something--the price of many wraps just shocks me. I figured I would just make my own to make it more reasonable, but then it occurred to me that maybe the fabrics are just that expensive. So, what gives? Has anyone made one they and really love (and holds up) for a substantially cheaper cost?

Re: Educate Me: Why Are Wraps So Expensive?

• imagefredalina:
    Woven wraps are, well, woven.  Getting the right weave with the right amount of give, etc, is tough and usually at least started by hand.  Getting the colors and patterns is intense.  It's not like you can just use any old fabric at the store.

Thanks! I had no idea. I was thinking of a bolt of fabric type-thing, but that certainly doesn't fly with something actually hand woven. Idea

• Well most are not handwoven but the amount of work that goes into them is still significant.  And the weave itself is what gives the fabric its carrying quality - the moldability, the breathability, the strength, etc...  And as fred points out there's a design element as well.  There is a fantastic thread about this on TBW but of course with search down it's sort of impossible to find.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Some are handwoven but even the machine woven ones are far different from most fabric store fabric - the weave is just not the same.  If you were to find fabric with those properties, the price per yard would probably be pretty high - high enough to make it not worth it.

Osnaburg muslin is the most wrap like fabric in terms of the give and such - and it's cheap.  But it's not much to look at!  It also isn't as cushy or soft as most wraps are.

• You could do a DIY moby style wrap by buying some jersey fabric in a fabric store.  Usually you would end up with enough fabric for two wraps as well so you could give one to a friend.  These stretchies are great for the newborn stage when your LO will need tons of feeding and diaper changes so that you don't have to rewrap everytime you move the baby
  • Go to a fabric store. Find a thick, woven, cushy piece of fabric (think similar to tapestry weaves or jaquards) and see how much that costs per yard. Multiply times 5. Trust me, it will cost about as much as an inexpensive wrap. Other wraps are just more expensive based upon supply and demand. There are woven wraps to be had for reasonable prices.

I tried a DIY before I purchased my first woven- I know my way around fabric (worked at a fabric store for years), and thought I could find something comparable on the cheap. I couldn't. I still look every time I go in, and still no such luck. I have been able to make my own ring slings, however, for considerably less than they can be purchased. I have one that cost me less than $10 to make, and it's pure linen- I found the fabric in the scraps table.

• Also, there is a DIY forum on the babywearer. If you are really interested in in a "cheap" wrap, they have several disscusions on fabric and links that are worth reading. Also, there is a tablecloth DIY thread that has great tips. I found a nice, relatively soft 100% cotton tablecloth on sale at bed, bath and beyond. I chopped it in 1/2 lengthwise and it makes a great shorty wrap for rebozo carries and it's just long enough to do a RUB (ruck tied under bum) back carry with. It's not as comfortable as my "real" wrap, but it works and was cheap! I had my "real" wrap first, so I kind of knew what to look for a little more in terms of how the cloth is woven. I also recently bought some osnaburg to try and hem up, so I can try another length, but I haven't gotten around to it, so I don't know how it wraps. I agree with the pp about the Moby style wrap being easy to DIY... you don't have to hem the edges, and if it is 60" wide, you can get three out of one!

https://www.wearyourbaby.org/Default.aspx?tabid=121

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My Mother is a seamstress by hobby and she made wraps for me as an infant (summer and winter). They held up until I wouldn't fit/stay in them any more (about 4 yrs) and she is shipping me a box of them and making more for my on the way baby. I think a big part of it is the skill required to make something secure enough you trust it to hold your baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"