Postpartum Depression

anxiety, ppd or ptsd?

Does anyone know the difference between anxiety, PPD or PTSD? I'm struggling the circumstances surrounding with my son's birth (doctor broke my water while he was breech leading to a very traumatic c/s). Every time I think about what happened I tear up and almost start crying. I can hold it in but it's hard sometimes. When I went to the hospital where he was born to deal with paperwork I had to stop off in the bathroom because I almost started crying the in hallways. I am not upset or depressed during the normal course of the day and might go days without being upset but any time I think about his "birth" I get very emotional... To top it off my OB has been very dismissive of some other problems (physical) that I had after delivery so I feel like I won't get any support there. He never asked any questions about PPD at either of our 2 follow-ups even though I heard that was common practice. I honestly thought I was getting over it but although 3 months PP I still almost cry any time I think of my "birth" experience.
DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~

Re: anxiety, ppd or ptsd?

• IMO this sounds like PTSD.  It seems all your anxiety and feelings are related to your birth experience.  I think you should definitely seek some therapy or counseling to help you grieve/cope with your traumatic birth experience.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket Photobucket
  • I agree with cojiwife -- no matter what exactly is happening (PTSD, PPD, etc.), you're suffering and should get some help. Therapy really helped me recover from PPD. Also, it might be worth considering changing to a different OB if you don't feel like you're getting the physical care you need. I'm so sorry for your experience. Hope you start feeling better soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • I am a social worker on a birthing center. There are several types of post partum mood disorders. All can include ppd, pp anxiety, and pp ptsd. Its not typical to still have "baby blues" after 3mo pp. You may simply have unresolved feelings regarding your traumatic birth.. I dont know if you have ptsd, but unresolved fear, feelings surrounding your birth could eventually lead to this. I would definately recommend seeking a counselor that specializes in post partum mood disorders.

www.postpartum.net has some good information. You might also try to call their "warm line" to ask questions and find more resouces in your local area.

Good luck!

8.7.04 Married the Man
    7.16.11 Welcomed the Boy (#1)
    8.19.13 Welcomed the Boy (#2)

• Thanks ladies. I'm already planning to interview a new OB and do not plan to return to my current one. I will be asking my new OB what they recommend I do about my situation. I guess I'm luckier than most considering I'm generally pretty happy most of the time but I'm definitely tired of the overwhelming sadness that occurs when I think about my son's delivery.
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"