Baby Showers

For the mom's that already had a shower...

I was at BRU the other day and saw two ladies shopping for someone and they had a printout of the registry in their hands. They were all set to buy a car seat for whoever it was they were shopping for and then at the last minute changed their minds and bought one they thought was "cuter."

So my question is: if you already had your shower, did you receive any BIG items (pack and play, car seat, stroller, high chair) that were given to you, but not the same kind as you put on your registry? I figure that happens a lot with the little stuff, outfits, toys, etc, but I wasn't sure about the big stuff. Just curious! Thanks :)

My little man at 0-1-2
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

Re: For the mom's that already had a shower...

• No, the only people that bought us big items were the grandparents and DH's grandmother.  Those gifts were specific to what we really wanted.

Friends and other family members went off the registry and those were smaller items like washcloths, toiletries and clothes.

Hopefully people include gift receipts because sometimes you get doubles on items.  We ended up with about 50 washcloths so we took some items back.

• No- we got all the big ticket stuff exactly as we registered for it.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • No. Everything we got as far as the big items were all off our registry.
  • No, all of our big items were the ones we chose.  Like you mentioned, we did get some other, smaller things that were slightly different that what we put on the registry, though... some of which we've kept, and others we exchanged for the items we really wanted.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageIvana.Stolichnaya:

No, the only people that bought us big items were the grandparents and DH's grandmother.  Those gifts were specific to what we really wanted.

Friends and other family members went off the registry and those were smaller items like washcloths, toiletries and clothes.

Hopefully people include gift receipts because sometimes you get doubles on items.  We ended up with about 50 washcloths so we took some items back.

I could have wrote this myself.  We recieved no big items at the shower, barely anything on our registry.  But we did get 77 washclothes and 22 recieving blankets!!  :)  Luckily we had gift receipts for the majority of things, I had no problem with returns.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Amazingly, every single item we received at our shower was off our registry and we got everything except a baby carrier!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Graphics
  • we got all our big ticket items off our registry.. except our glider is the wrong one but i just took it back and ordered the one we wanted.. no biggie.. i would also not register for clothes and washcloths all those little things.. people LOVE to buy baby clothes and they will buy whatever they think is cute..
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine is this weekend but looking at my registry, I see the snap n go and carseat stuff was bought- likely by my parents. They also bought the mattress for us.

I *think* all of my ILs are going in on our more pricey stroller, but I'm not sure.  My MIL has been pushing for a BOB though we explicitly told her which stroller we wished for and sent her the link, so we'll see what she buys.

We honestly didn't register for many expensive things- we bought the furniture and my parents just said they wanted to buy the mattress so I told them what we wanted. The swing, high chair, etc were all hand me downs from friends and I had honestly planned on buying the car seat, et al next week then I saw it had been purchased already. 

• No, that didn't happen to me. Honestly, I'm be annoyed if someone got me a "cuter" car seat than the one I picked out. Of course I would not tell them that, and I would thank them profusely and write a nice note. I put a LOT of time and effort into researching which car seat was the safest and worked best with my car and stroller. If someone changed it up then I would just return it. 

The Pack N Play I picked out to match the decor of my house, and same thing there, though if I liked the pattern they picked out too and it worked I might keep it. The stroller, no way. I picked out the one I wanted and bought it myself.  

• imagektwilley:

No, that didn't happen to me. Honestly, I'm be annoyed if someone got me a "cuter" car seat than the one I picked out. Of course I would not tell them that, and I would thank them profusely and write a nice note. I put a LOT of time and effort into researching which car seat was the safest and worked best with my car and stroller. If someone changed it up then I would just return it. 

The Pack N Play I picked out to match the decor of my house, and same thing there, though if I liked the pattern they picked out too and it worked I might keep it. The stroller, no way. I picked out the one I wanted and bought it myself.  

This.

DH and I took the time to research safety ratings for all of the equipment type items that are on our registry.  Car seats, strollers, playards, high chairs and cribs (among other things) were items that we registered for based on ratings.  Then we chose the colors based on our own desires.

If someone opted to buy a brand that wasn't on there we'd most likely return it.  If someone decided that they were changing our colors, we'd have to consider returning it as well.

This is one of those times that it really irritates me when people don't buy on the registry.  You wouldn't just decide to buy me a different place setting of China because you wanted to get something cuter for a wedding gift - why is it OK to do this with a shower gift?

However either way, I'd thank the gift giver.

Thenimage Nowimage
  • Everything we got off of the registry was what we asked for.  I am with pp, that would ANNOY me (but I would never say anything, just return it) if people bought a different car seat because it was "cute". 

OMFG, seriously?  Buying cuter clothes, sure, but a car seat?  Who does that?  DH and I spend HOURS researching car seats and then going to the store to look at them and test them out. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Who does that?  Seriously!

All the big stuff I got was what I chose, with the exception of the two extra Diaper Genies.  I registered and recieved the Diaper Genie II, but I also got two Diaper Genie Elites. 

I did not register for a high chair, and a friend got me one she had and loved.  I think there is a big difference between buying something different because it is "cuter" and an experienced mother buying a gift that is tested.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I only got a couple little things of my registry, was kind of disappointing.
    Gavin Alexander
    8/25/10
  • We received what we picked out for the big stuff. I could see getting a different style if one has been discontinued. We did that for my SIL's baby shower. Her PNP style was discontinued so we got her the newer one, but gave a gift receipt in case she wanted to exchange it.
  • imageEastCoastBride:
    No- we got all the big ticket stuff exactly as we registered for it.

this.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The 2 big items were what I registered for that.  But, in general, we got very little off of our registry.  Our families went girl crazy and we ended up with more clothes than DD could possibly wear.  I understand they were just excited, but it was really frustrating (and expensive) having to buy the rest ourselves.
    Expecting our 3rd little girl this New Year's!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"