Baby Showers

Throwing your own baby shower - tacky or practical?

Looking for some advice on what everyone thinks about throwing your own party. I'm an only child and most of my close friends live out of state. I have some good friends nearby but am not sure any of them would offer to host a shower (plus 2 of them are preggers themselves!) I'm not in a financial bind (i.e. a shower would be just a guise to get gifts) but I'd love to have a shower just so friends could celebrate our soon-to-be new addition with hubby and I. Traditional etiquette says it's tacky to throw your own shower. What do you think and/or what did you do? Thanks!

Re: Throwing your own baby shower - tacky or practical?

• Assuming you're for real...

tacky.  especially as you even say it would just be a guise to get gifts. 

if you want to 'celebrate the baby' (which is often the excuse people try to use when wanting to be tacky), you can throw a party after the baby is here that is NOT a shower.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageEastCoastBride:

Assuming you're for real...

tacky.  especially as you even say it would just be a guise to get gifts. 

if you want to 'celebrate the baby' (which is often the excuse people try to use when wanting to be tacky), you can throw a party after the baby is here that is NOT a shower.

Actually if you read it again, I think her meaning is that it is NOT just a guise to get gifts. 

But the answer is still "tacky."

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Since this is your first post, I'm assuming MUD, but just in case, it's totally tacky. 

You can throw a meet the baby party after LO arrives, but you do not throw your own shower.  

• imageTapper76:

Actually if you read it again, I think her meaning is that it is NOT just a guise to get gifts. 

Yes, you're right.... ;) 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Tacky. If your only intent is to get together and celebrate the baby, host a 'sip and see' after LO arrives.
  • Very tacky...throw a get together after the baby is born and celebrate that way!
    Loving life with DH, DS (5), DD and Angel Baby DS watching down from Heaven! We are excited to be trying for our final LO! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would never throw my own shower. That is horrendous.
  • I'm going to agree with all the other ladies... tacky. 
  • Have a 'sip and see' after the baby is born.  It's like a housewarming party except with a new baby.
  • I think you answered your own question...if traditional etiquette says it is tacky then it IS tacky.  Just because you have friends who are unable or unwilling to host a shower for you and your other close friends live out of state doesn't mean you can't celebrate your new little one.  You CAN host your own "Meet the Baby Party".  You said you aren't doing it because you "need" things anyway...so just do that once the baby is born.  Everyone will get to see him/her and you'll get some nice gifts as well. 
  • Semantics are a major part of it.

If it's before the birth and called a shower, it's seen as a gifts thing and must have a separate host besides.

Have it after and call it a meet-the-baby or whatever, and you're clear. Although that can be stressful.

Or you could just have a party in general, like a Christmas party or Super Bowl something in the spring (blanking on a theme) and especially once you're showing, they'll end up celebrating the pregnancy regardless, in a much more relaxed fashion.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oy. I would never throw my own shower. I think it's incredibly tacky and looks gift-grabby.
  • I'm in the same boat as you, and personally I could care less if others think it's tacky.Get with the times people, this isn't 1950 anymore!  You deserve to have a celebration in honor of you and you little one. If you want to celebrate your soon to be new arrival with friends, than I think you should. 

I plan on hosting, and paying for everything (i.e. food, decor, favors, prizes) out of my own pocket. I am registered, but I'm not expecting gifts from my guest, and have put so in my innovations. Also I can't possibly see me wanting to throw a "meet the baby" party after the baby is here. I'm sure I'll be to busy attending to the new addition. 

So throw yourself the party, have fun, and forget what everyone else thinks.  

• Tacky. End of story.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"