Washington Babies

**martini-time**

I know we've all seen way too many posts on the national boards about the damn sleepsuit, but I saw you bought it... and given you share my concern about SIDS, just wondering what you thought.  It looks like it's just a glorified snowsuit... is it, or if not, what is so special about it?  And given SIDS recommendations against over-bundling, how are you making sure your LO doesn't overheat?  

LO just fights the swaddle but won't sleep without it, and I'm scared for when he starts turning over... 

Thanks in advance.  :)  

I'm going to make an AWESOME big brother.

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: **martini-time**

• Hiya!

I had the same issue with L fighting the swaddle. I would swaddle him tightly, only to have him break out of it and wake himself up. I felt terrible swaddling him all the time when I could tell it wasn't comfortable for him. We did a couple of weeks without swaddling, and he woke himeself up a ton. He likes to chew on his hands and rub his face, so it just wasn't working! Once we put him in the sleepsuit, he started sleeping like a champ. It's made up of a fleecy material on the outside, and cotton on the inside. Yep, it does look like a glorified snowsuit, but it works. It's fluffy enough in the arms to keep baby from bending them enough to rub his face/poke himself in the eye, etc. It also kind of cradles him so that he doesn't startle as much as he did without it. I was really concerned about him overheating in it, but that hasn't been the case at all. We turn the heat down to 68 or 69 at night, put him in a regular pair of cotton footie pjs and the suit and he's been fine. Matter of fact, he felt a little chilly last night. I'm obsessive about checking his temperature and he's never once felt too warm in it. I've experimented with different clothes underneath, and the cotton footies seem to be the best way to go.

I don't want to curse myself by saying it out loud, but he's slept SO much better since we put him in the suit. Consistently 6-8 hours stretches, and last night he slept from 8 until 5:45 this morning without waking to eat or anything! We've been feeding him right before we put him to bed, no matter when he last ate. Last night I added an extra ounce to his bottle and he took it. I think he's finally learning to get all his calories during the day/evening instead of the middle of the night.

If you end up buying it, let me know how it works out for you! I know we're all desperate for sleep at this stage!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you so much for the thoughtful reply!  Keeping my fingers crossed that the sleep trend continues... 

We might try it.   Isaac did 6:30pm - 2:45am last night, then up at 6:20am swaddled.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is the beginning of a trend, but as I said, dreading the transition away from the swaddle.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • One more question:  DS sleeps in his wedge so basically in a seated position.  Does the suit allow them to bend at the waist?

Pregnancy Ticker

• Yes, though definitely not as far as they could bend without it!

I was going to add one more thing I like about it. L was ALL over his crib before we started using the suit. I'd go in there and he'd be upside down (we have his mattress inclined for reflux), sideways, every which way. We were using rolled up receiving blankets (thanks for the idea there, by the way!) and putting his Boppy pillow around his feet, but he was still moving around a lot. Now that he's in the suit that has pretty much stopped. He may be a few inches further down (he kicks his legs a lot when he wakes up) but has yet to end up all crazy!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It really does sound magic. :)

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"