Orange County Babies

When did you transition from the crib?

How old was LO when you converted the crib and/or put them in a "big kid" bed?

Re: When did you transition from the crib?

• We still haven't.  I did some research (while fighting with DH who had removed the front of the crib in one of his unilateral decision moments), and the recommendations are kind of conflicting.  I found one "expert" that suggests waiting until 3, but I don't know anyone IRL who waited that long.  Luckily, I got him to turn it back into a crib for DD, because she wasn't sleeping, she kept getting up.

Honestly, for many of my friends, the decision was driven by the fact that they needed the crib for the next baby.  So I'll be interested to see what everyone else has to say.

• Honestly it may not be popular but we plan on switching over to the montessori method around 18 months although it may become sooner if our little spider monkey continues to make crawling out of her crib no matter how low the mattress is her ultimate goal.

https://modernhomemodernbaby.com/montessori-floor-bed-in-action/

We got to see a bit of a sneek peek this week with OOT guests and having a mattress (aerobed) on the floor. She took a few naps of her own free will (a huge deal when she is known for her insomnia) on the mattress when she had free access to it herself.

Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD was around 18-20 months. I had planned on keeping in her crib as long as possible but she was boycotting the crib. She would nap at my MIL's on a queen bed. So we got rid of the crib all together. She now sleeps on a twin bed. At almost 3 y.o. she rarely gets out of bed without me coming to get her. So we've never had the problem of her roaming around her room when trying to put her down for the night.
  • DS is 28 months and still in his crib, as of right now we have no plans on when we will move him to a bed. We are just taking it day by day.
  • Around 22mo we moved her into a twin bed.  We were eventually going to need the crib for #2 but didn't want to rush the big-girl-bed transition.  She took to the bed right away, thankfully. 
    forcing sisterly love since 07.06.10
  • We are going to transition DS next month when he turns 2.  We are in the process of making room for #2 so it's kind of a necessity.  I think we would have done it around now anyway, though.  It's time - I have concerns about my kid jumping out of his crib and breaking something.
  • We moved DD around 22 months and she hated it.  She started climbing out of her crib so we moved her but it was a battle for a long time to get her to sleep.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Wow! I guess we were super early birds. DD was 14 months when she decided she hated the crib and would literally throw herself out of it because she couldn't climb out then our heart would ache because the falls were pretty painful and in the middle of the night! So she has been sleeping in a full size bed that allows her to conveniently walk to our room when she wakes up in the morning.

I didn't even know there were guidelines! It just happened naturally  and it has been working out great.

• We plan to do a floor bed in a few months. She hates the crib anyways and sleeps on a floor bed at MILs house all the time.
  • image5dogs:

Honestly it may not be popular but we plan on switching over to the montessori method around 18 months although it may become sooner if our little spider monkey continues to make crawling out of her crib no matter how low the mattress is her ultimate goal.

https://modernhomemodernbaby.com/montessori-floor-bed-in-action/

We got to see a bit of a sneek peek this week with OOT guests and having a mattress (aerobed) on the floor. She took a few naps of her own free will (a huge deal when she is known for her insomnia) on the mattress when she had free access to it herself.

Thanks for posting this. I really like this idea! I have a terrible sleeper too and wonder if this will work for us when he is older.

• 24 months and that was a stretch for us......he was trying to bust out at about 18.........
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"