May 2011 Moms

Earliest you hear HB with HOME doppler? Tips?

And tips on how to hear it better?

I am a tad early to hear it at home, but got my doppler today (Sonoline B) and reallllly want to try it. :) I imagine I will not hear it for a couple weeks though.

And does it sound like the HB when you are at the doctor? That woosh-woosh sound?

~Lisa~
Mommy to Rachel 1.15.06 and Ashley 5.17.11
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Re: Earliest you hear HB with HOME doppler? Tips?

• I heard mine with my home doppler around 10 weeks, but I am very thin and my doctor has said that this makes it easier. The one tip I have is to expect it to take a while. The first time I heard it I probably searched around for it for nearly an hour.
  • My doctor didn't even want to find mine at my 11 week office visit... I think she thought I'd be too stressed if she couldn't.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • I have yet to hear mine at the doctors but I have heard it everynight at home since just in the middle of my 10th week.

Start LOW!!!! I push down (harder than my H thinks is safe). And move around a lot, but s-l-o-w-l-y, and stay towards the center.

I looked it up on Youtube, because even though I kind of knew what to listen for, I wasn't 100 %.

Also, keep a timer near by set to 15 second ( I use my cell phone) my doopler has never once counted the baby's heartbeat correctly.

Edit: I am not thin and still heard it at 10 weeks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I heard it at 10 weeks, but I didn't try before that.  I didn't want to freak myself out if I couldn't hear it.  Definitely go lower than you might think...like right over the pelvic bone.  I'm not sure how, but I just felt where to go to hear my LO.  I can hear mine best about 3 inches left of midline and with the probe angled down and back (I hope that makes sense).  GL!
  • I just got a pretty cheap one from amazon (not as good as the Sonoline B) and heard it at 12 weeks.  I didn't try before hand.  I heard it when I pushed right above my pelvic bone as well.  It only took a minute or two to find it.
  • I heard the HB for the first time yesterday, but couldn't find it today after searching for an hour.  I think it is a lot of luck at this point and where the baby happens to be positioned at that moment.  I even know what to look for, since I used it last time with DS and I am having trouble.

Things that help: full bladder, pillow under but, push down hard with the probe and go slow.  I put the probe in one spot and circle the head around without lifting it off my stomach. If it isn't there, then move the probe and try another spot.

Once you actually here the HB, there is no mistaking it.  I suggest listening to some on youtube, so you can get an idea of what it sounds like.  G/L! 

image Liam Henry: 9/5/09 Emmeline Claire: 5/23/11
  • We didn't get to hear our baby's hb at the doctor's until our 12 week appt.  I just got a doppler today and used it for the first time!  Very exciting, but it did take a few minutes to find the hb so DON'T freak out if you don't hear it right away (I totally panicked for a minute, but then I found it).  I guess there's no harm in trying to hear it now.  If you can't hear anything after a few minutes of moving it around, just wait a week or so and try again.
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ok, so I just tried again and I found it in two minutes!  I don't know if this has any bearing, but the two times I tried right after eating, I didn't find it and the two times tried on an emptier stomach, I DID find it. Maybe at this point my stomach gets in the way?  Who knows, but this time it was in the center, right above the hairline. Last time it was up a little further.

• Heard mine and 10w 2d. I'm medium built and to me it sounds like a galloping horse. I heard the whoosh sound too but I was able to get the real deal hb yesterday at a little over 160bpm. Start way below your belly button.
  • Update to my previous post:

I just used the doppler again so my husband could hear it.  I freaked out (again), this time because the heart rate was WAY too low.  I could hear it SO clearly but it was just so low.  Turns out I was listening to MY OWN heartbeat.  I mistook it for the baby's because it was below my belly button and a little to the left.  I finally found the baby's heartbeat below my belly button and a little to the right.  My husband thinks that this was not a wise purchase because it will probably only freak me out every time I use it.

• imageECB0718:

Update to my previous post:

I just used the doppler again so my husband could hear it.  I freaked out (again), this time because the heart rate was WAY too low.  I could hear it SO clearly but it was just so low.  Turns out I was listening to MY OWN heartbeat.  I mistook it for the baby's because it was below my belly button and a little to the left.  I finally found the baby's heartbeat below my belly button and a little to the right.  My husband thinks that this was not a wise purchase because it will probably only freak me out every time I use it.

Haha, yeah you can hear your own HB all over your stomach.  In fact, later on, you will probably be able to put your hand on your stomach and FEEL your HB.  The baby will probably always be in a different spot, too.  It still gives me more piece of mind, than  anxiety.

• Which home doppler did each of you purchase I want to get one im 11 weeks pregnant and want to hear my babys hb sooner than later the ones in the local stores all say late 2nd trimester or 3rd trimester
  • imagenix71909:
    Which home doppler did each of you purchase I want to get one im 11 weeks pregnant and want to hear my babys hb sooner than later the ones in the local stores all say late 2nd trimester or 3rd trimester

I got Baby Sound! Fetal Doppler, I bought it on Amazon.  It was only like $25 ($35 with the gel and shipping).  I ordered it on Thursday and it arrived on Monday.  I'm sure there are better ones out there, but I didn't want to spend too much on it and so far it works great.  It also comes with the cord to connect it to your computer so you can record the HB, but I haven't figured that out yet. 

• This makes me feel so much better. I got mine in the mail yesterday (12 weeks) and I tried it for about 20 minutes and decided to give up. For a few minutes I was really freaked out, then I realized that it's probably normal. I know a lot of times they have trouble finding them in the doctor's office - I'm sure it's normal not to find it easily at home. I'm going to try to avoid the thing until my next appt, though, just so I don't make myself crazy! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"