Parenting after 35
Options

ScoobyM

Along the lines of your FFFC post...take my advice and make sure to give Noah at least one bottle a day, whether it's pumped bm or formula...nobody told me that and I got lazy and stopping doing a bedtime bottle for a couple weeks when he was 2 months old...when I tried again, Simon ended up rejecting bottles all together which is why I ended up EBFing for a full year! 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ScoobyM

• Options

Thanks, that is good advice!  I have started pumping after one feeding to help create a freezer stash and have been looking forward to being able to leave him with MIL or our nanny so we can get out for just a bit, but I'm afraid to start bottles for fear he won't want to nurse anymore.  When did you give your LO his first bottle?  Did he have any issues with nipple confusion?

Eleanor Paige, born 3/27/08 Noah Christopher, born 10/2/10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Butting in...This is great advice!!!!  We had the same problem, got lazy with the bottles because DD had originally done so well taking one from almost anyone, and then between 3-4 months, she wouldn't take one from anyone but me (yes, I know weird, go figure).  We tried BM in the sippy, etc. but no dice.  I think we originally introduced a bottle around 3 weeks, seems likes that is what our LC recommended.  She took it like a champ, until we forgot to give her one for several weeks :(  Can I ship you any very slightly used bottles?!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageScoobyM:

Thanks, that is good advice!  I have started pumping after one feeding to help create a freezer stash and have been looking forward to being able to leave him with MIL or our nanny so we can get out for just a bit, but I'm afraid to start bottles for fear he won't want to nurse anymore.  When did you give your LO his first bottle?  Did he have any issues with nipple confusion?

Whoa, I would start the bottle immediately!  They recommend 2 weeks but we started when Simon was only 1 week old and he did great, never had nipple confusion.  We usually gave him a bottle at bedtime and one in the morning, then I nursed the rest of the time. When he was 9 weeks old we went on vacation and I forgot the pump so I just bf him all the time.  When we returned I got lazy, it was just easier to bf than to pump and I really hated pumping.  Also bfing took less time, this kid was a guzzler and I had fast flow so he was done in 5 minutes.  One day I went shopping and was gone for longer than expected.  DH tried to give him a bottle and he wouldn't touch it, screamed his head off until I got home.  So I bought every kind of bottle and nipple ever made and kept trying for months, even had the lactation nurse try, but he just wouldn't touch a bottle ever again, regardless of what I put in it (bm, formula, juice).  I even dipped the nipple in sugar water...this kid was just stubborn.  People would tell us "if he's hungry enough he will take it" but they had no clue what it was like for me and DH to hold a screaming, hungry baby and try day after day with no luck.  Finally when he was 9 months old the pediatrician told us just to give up trying because we would just have to wean him off a bottle at a year anyway.  Hopefully Noah will take the bottle and you will have no issues, but I would start him ASAP so you don't end up EBFing for a year! Crying

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yikes!  That does it - we are starting a bottle this week!!  For some reason I thought it was recommended to wait till like 4-6 weeks, but that seems kind of late.  Well, BFing is going pretty well at this point so hopefully he will take to the bottle pretty easily.  My DD had no problems going between the two, so maybe her little brother will be the same.  Thanks!!
    Eleanor Paige, born 3/27/08 Noah Christopher, born 10/2/10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"