Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

IKEA crib anyone??

DH and I both see furniture as an investment.  If our children will only use the crib for such a short time, then it goes to figure that we don't need to buy a high end crib.  However, I don't want to go so cheap that I'm not happy, the crib falls apart, etc.  Is there anyone out there that has been happy going the IKEA route?? 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: IKEA crib anyone??

• Options

Our neighbors have the Gulliver (their baby is 1 year now) and so we decided to go that route. Ikea cribs are highly rated and they are pretty affordable. You can see our baby's room for pics at https://flickr.com/casacleys

We bought it for several reasons: 1) quality/rating 2) height (I am 5"4 and it is a great height for me to get baby in and out 3) price. Can't beat it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have the gulliver too. We decided to go that route since so many people I know who bought kids with the intention of converting them either decided against it or their kids chewed on the crib. We've been very happy with the crib so far. It turns into a toddler bed as well. Sometime after she's a toddler, we'll buy her a bedroom set, but for now she has an old dresser that doubles as a changing table and a crib and a set of bookcases from ikea. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMrs2DUCKSinLOVE:

Our neighbors have the Gulliver (their baby is 1 year now) and so we decided to go that route. Ikea cribs are highly rated and they are pretty affordable. You can see our baby's room for pics at https://flickr.com/casacleys

We bought it for several reasons: 1) quality/rating 2) height (I am 5"4 and it is a great height for me to get baby in and out 3) price. Can't beat it!

I just looked at your nursery pictures- way cute! Where is your bedding from? I really like it.

• Options

I've heard great reviews for the IKEA crib. I would've probably gone that route if I would've waited a little longer.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We were leaning on the ikea crib because of the decent consumer reviews and safety rating (and low cost), I just didn't like that I couldn't get it in black. The one we went with was the Da Vinci Emily since it didn't cost as much as other cribs (and we don't plan on using the conversion kits).

• Options

I was all about the Ikea Gulliver - DH and I went to look at it yesterday and now we are not going with it. I know the floor model is probably less sturdy as it is out on the floor but wow, it was really rickety. The major thing for me was how short it is.  I am 5 foot 9 and DH is 6 foot 2 and the Gulliver is really really low.  Probably a benefit for some people who are shorter but for me it seemed like added back strain. That being said, I have friends who have it and love it - just not the right choice for us.

• Options
    imageJennyDub:

I was all about the Ikea Gulliver - DH and I went to look at it yesterday and now we are not going with it. I know the floor model is probably less sturdy as it is out on the floor but wow, it was really rickety. The major thing for me was how short it is.  I am 5 foot 9 and DH is 6 foot 2 and the Gulliver is really really low.  Probably a benefit for some people who are shorter but for me it seemed like added back strain. That being said, I have friends who have it and love it - just not the right choice for us.

We purchased the Ikea Gulliver crib, and it is very very sturdy.  When we went to look at it, the floor model looked horrible, but it was always in the kids section with about 50 dozen little feet running around pulling and grabbing things.  I was really amazed at when we put it together how sturdy it was compared to the floor model. 

• Options
    imagekelseymw:
    imageMrs2DUCKSinLOVE:

I just looked at your nursery pictures- way cute! Where is your bedding from? I really like it.

Thanks! It is an Amy Butler fabric (martini and midwest?) and the bedding was made by a gal on Etsy.

• Options
    We're getting the gulliver crib for my parent's house.  It got really good safety ratings and it seemed comfortable for someone short (like my mom and myself) to use and the price is awesome! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker LIttle Bug - BFP - 11/4/09 - M/C - 1/8/10
  • Options

I love IKEA for their kitchen products, decor, and we even got OUR bed there.

But.

An IKEA crib scares the HELL out of me.  They look like you can flick it with a finger & it'd fall down!!!  Not a safe choice....I don't know where these 'ratings' come from!

Buy a 'convertible crib' that will turn into a full sized bed.  Look for solid wood, made in America and you can't go wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"