Austin Babies

NBR: Is this an ear infection?

Do adults even get ear infections? I have a deep pain in one ear that comes and goes and my temp is 101ish. I had chills last night, but they are gone and I still have body aches and a killer headache. I don't feel bad enough for it to be flu, but there is obviously something going on. Could it be an EI?

Re: NBR: Is this an ear infection?

• It sure sounds like one to me.  I had sharp ear pains that came and went and the doctor was surprised I had an EI because I didn't have a fever- she said EIs nearly always present with a fever.  So it sounds likely.  I'd go get checked out.  Feel better soon!
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yes, adults get ear infections all the time! Anything viral with a fever can give you chills/body aches and a HA. Someone can prescribe ABX but keep in mind that just like with children, many EI are viral and not bacterial. Chances are with a decongestant like Sudafed (the good behind the counter stuff) and liberal application of Tylenol and Advil, it will get better on its own.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageTaytee:
    Yes, adults get ear infections all the time! Anything viral with a fever can give you chills/body aches and a HA. Someone can prescribe ABX but keep in mind that just like with children, many EI are viral and not bacterial. Chances are with a decongestant like Sudafed (the good behind the counter stuff) and liberal application of Tylenol and Advil, it will get better on its own.

Really??? I never knew this. I always thought an infection was infection and a virus was a virus?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It definitely could be the beginning of an EI.  I can attest that adults get them.  I had a horrible one a few years back that caused damage to my hearing.  (Whole long story there but I was able to get most of my hearing back w/ treatment.)  My ENT says at the first sign of congestion or EI, take Mucinex and don't stop taking it until the congestion is pretty much gone.  It helps break everything up and thin it out so it can be expelled.  

Sorry you feel bad! 

• Thanks, everyone! I am taking a decongestant now and hopefully it will help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"