Breastfeeding
Options

feeding LO pumped milk

I will be returning to work fulltime with my son is 6 weeks old.  I really REALLY want to keep him on breastmilk only, so i'm going to have to be a crazy pumping fool at work all day.

My company seems to be supportive of this (I feel pretty lucky) so I'm trying to think through logistics.  My assumption is that I will get a mini fridge for my office and put the pumped milk from the day in there.  I'll bring it home at night, leaving the next day's milk in the fridge and freezing any extra that I'm able to produce.

Here's my question - do I actually need a bottle warmer so that my husband can feed our son my refrigerated breastmilk?  I've always heard that bottle warmers were a complete waste, but what's the alternative?  Is it okay to feed the baby cold milk?  Or is it good enough to thaw frozen milk overnight in the fridge, and warm up the refrigerated milk in a cup of hot water?  

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

Re: feeding LO pumped milk

• Options
    NSLNSL member
    If your baby doesn't get used to warm bottles, he almost certainly won't reject them.  We never warmed a single bottle with my first, which made feeding him while out and about (when I didn't NIP) incredibly easy.
  • Options
    Were his bottles *cold* or room temp?

[spoiler]

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have never warmed my daughters bottles.  If it is cold I try to run it under hot water while swirling to reincorporate the fat that sticks to the sides (breastmilk does this) but only to that point.  The milk really still is cool when I give it to her.  She's never rejected the bottle due to temperature.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Good to know, thanks :)  How long is breastmilk good at room temp?  Can DH leave it on the counter for a few min to take some of the fridge's edge off it?

[spoiler]

• Options
    NSLNSL member

imagecdobry01:
    Good to know, thanks :)  How long is breastmilk good at room temp?  Can DH leave it on the counter for a few min to take some of the fridge's edge off it?

Yes.  And FWIW, our son took cold bottles straight from the fridge alongside room temp ones.  

• Options
    Thanks for posting this. i was wondering alot of the same things.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

no you don't have to warm bottles but babies do like their milk warm i freeze my milk in lansinol breast milk bags i lay them flat in the break room freezer and take them home in a stack so that they keep each other cool my husband(ish) tosses one in the bathroom sink full of warm/hot water it takes maybe two minuets or less for the milk to become warm he throws it in a tommy tippy bottle and feeds her throughout the night (i work night shift) breastmilk lasts

10 hours at room temp

8 days in the fridge

2 weeks in a mini fridge freezer

3-4 months in a freezer attached to your refrigerator and

6months+ in a deep freezer

i see that your still pregnant i would recommend getting a good double electric pump (mine is the Madela PISA backpack i have used it for both my children) pump pump pump while on maternity leave fill your freezer pump after nursing at least 4 times a day and when you first wake in the morning separate the milk into bags of 1 2 and 3 ounces during the first month your body will give you as much as you ask of it until you stop asking and then it wont ever over produce like that again

Goodluck

~Kaitlyn

• Options
    another word of advice, the BPA free parents choice bottles at walmart fit the threading on most pumps if you don't have an adequate place to clean your pump parts at work you could pump into and store your milk in these
  • Options
    awesome advice and info ladies, thank you all so much! :)

[spoiler]

• Options

I don't put my milk in a fridge.. I just use the ice pack that comes with my Medela freestyle.  All your logistics sounds great... no problem there.

You don't actually NEED a bottle warmer.  I have one and happy to use it.  I felt that I was wasting too much water waiting for it to get hot enough to put the milk in a bowl of hot water to warm up.  The warmer is quick and easy for us.  With that said we don't even warm the milk to very warm.  Just enough to take most of the chill off and make it room temperature pretty much (used to be warmer when he was younger but I figure I won't be warming his milk when he is 1 yrs old so we are starting the process of cooler milk now). 

DS would take it straight from the fridge if we gave it to him that way... but the fat in the milk seperates and looks kinda funny.  When you warm it up (even just a little) the fats mix/ blend back together.

As an alternative -- When we are at a friends house I ether quickly boil some water or warm a bowl of water in the microwave. Then once it's hot I use that to warm the milk.  I find it takes a little longer so I just use the warmer that was gifted to me.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"