Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Random question about homework...

Yup... he's got homework in pre-school.

This week's assignment is:  "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

So far he's done all his own work.  I've helped him make his letters and helped him find stickers, pictures and such for previous projects like "what's my favorite animal" but I need advice on this one.

His answer?  He wants to be a bumble bee when he grows up.

I personally think it's adorable.  Were it up to me I'd help him find pictures of a bumble bee and help him write it out and be done.

However...  I wonder if I SHOULD guide him a bit for the sake of the assignment.  Perhaps a qualifier like "something a HUMAN would do for a job"

But frankly?  He's 4.  I don't want him to have to think about what kind of job he'd like to have when he grows up if he doesn't naturally head in that direction.

So.... do I help him focus in on a human job and hence a more acceptable answer

or

do I let him run with bumble bee. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.

Re: Random question about homework...

• Options

At his age, I'd totally let him do the bumblebee thing.  I mean...they're really focusing on pretending right now anyway, so it's good for developing his imagination. 

I'm guessing that it's fairly normal at this age b/c DS and I were talking a month or so ago about what he wants to be when he grows up, and he told me he wanted to be a police officer, an entomologist (he described it but I gave him the word...too cute) or a race car.  Not a race car DRIVER...he wants to be a race car.  I say go with his first answer.

• Options

If it were me, I'd be fine with bumble bee.

If you really wanted to help him make it an actual job, you could introduce him to the concept of beekeeper. But seriously, he's 4. There will be plenty of time for reality checks.

Also, since when is it appropriate for preschoolers to have homework??????????

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

First, it kills me that preschoolers have homework, even cute, fun assignments like this.

Second, I'd go with the bee.  I taught preschool for a year a long time ago and I can still remember doing a lesson on what the children wanted to be when they grew up.  One little girl wanted to be a flower- I thought it was adorable and didn't try to sway her. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagebrightning:

Also, since when is it appropriate for preschoolers to have homework??????????

The way they explained it at the beginning of the year it's to encourage parents to sit down and spend focused academic time with their kids.

While it's not in short supply at our house I can see for some families where it would be a good idea to help the parents get into this routine early on.

So really it's more for the parents than the kids if that makes sense?

And every assignment they're doing is "all about me".

According to the teachers they bound these and present them with a book all about themselves at the end of the year.

And DH just had an interesting observation.  Dylan's never shown too much interest in bees before.  DH thinks he's clueing into the "BE" part of what do you want to be.

When asked this morning what job he wants when he's older he replied "Buzz Lightyear" and when DH asked what job does Buzz do he said "space ranger!  I want to be a SPACE RANGER!!!"

It just keeps getting more entertaining. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options
    go with the bumblebee thing.  let him have fun with it .. it is his assignment.  our dd is in a prek4 with homework.  she has usually one worksheet and then suggested activities.  most we're finished with in 5-10 minutes. It's not as terrible as I thought when we got the first homework folder.  lol.  she enjoys it.  I think at this age, it's to keep the parents up to stuff with what their children are doing and to help the parents work on it at home.   but I feel like it's a bit crazy... but I'm sure there are parents who don't do those sorts of activities at home, so I can see how it would be helpful to those families.  the kids are not graded... no pressure...  so if dd refused to do it one night, we just wouldn't do it . we'd put it away, maybe try the next day.  but so far, she's excited to show us what she learned that day at school. 
  • Options

Am I the only one? I kind of dig the homework thing, sounds like a fun discussion based thing. At the begining of the year, dd was to fill out a sheet that had a whole bunch of questions on it, like favorite color, food, etc. The last one was what do you want to be when you grow up. I asked her, she said "Green" so that is what it says.(Pink was her favorite color) At least a bee is an actual thing.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"