Working Moms

Student mothers?

Any mothers/future mother's that are juggling with being a university student and family life? I'm a second year medical student with a 2 and half year old and TTC our second. Most people think we're crazy, and although most of the time our life is very hectic, we love it :)

Re: Student mothers?

• Me! I'm a PhD student, full-time university employee, and about 30 days away from giving birth to my first. People tell me I'm crazy all the time, but I really, really think I can juggle all of these things. (Shameless plug, but that's what I blog about, if you're interested. I love to discuss some of the issues that come up with balancing all of these different (and intersecting) roles).
  • I am finishing my last semester of law school.  I think the school schedule is more flexible than my work schedule will be, so it has worked out.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Me! I am finishing up my last year for a Biology degree and juggling with taking care of a premature baby and all his developmental delays and concerns. It is tough, but I would never trade my life for anything!

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Me! I have a 4month old son and I go to school full time and work full time as well. It's not easy but I have a wonderful DH who makes it workable! We're young, we can do it! Don't let anyone tell you anything different!
  • There is a blog written by several different physician (and medical student) mothers: Mothers in Medicine (google it).  You might find some of their posts helpful.

I had a baby during my last year of residency.  Several women in my medical school class had babies during 4th year. 

Good luck!  

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • I had LO in the middle of fall and spring semesters last year. Made the fall semester hysterical because if I went to the bathroom, everyone would freak out thinking I was going in labor. Spring semester with a newborn was not really that fun especially because DH increased his hours and was working night shift so it left me to care for a newborn, go to classes, study, take care of the house and all other household duties. But, I made it through it and graduated. Was it hard, yes. Is it possible, yes. You just have to schedule your time accordingly. Good luck,
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am a full time student & full time job. DS is a year old now. We would really like another one, but as much as we make crazy schedules work, I think #2 is going to have to wait until I'm done with school.
  • I am, too: full-time job, full-time grad school, and mom to an almost one-year-old. It was ridiculous in the beginning, and I can't say I'd do it again, but I'll be done with school in February, so I'm starting to breathe a little bit more easily these days.
  • Wow, it's so nice to hear all these stories! At my university I'm the only one, not to mention that most of the other students are in the early 20s while I'm almost 26 so they definitely don't understand what having a family is all about. The main thing I'm curious is if anyone has any good suggestions to keep toddlers busy when I'm trying to study and read. My husband and I try to split up our time but sometimes we both find ourselves busy and end up putting a Disney movie on for our daughter. I always feel so guilty doing this because I've heard what a bad habit television is but sometimes it seems to be the only thing that keeps her occupied for a longer period of time to allow us to finish our work.

Oh and congratulations to all of you on your hard work and accomplishments, I think we all have a lot to be proud of! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"