February 2011 Moms
Options

Disposables vs Cloth

Hi Ladies, since there has been talk of this today, and I have become obsessed with researching cloth diapers, just wondering how many people are going to be giving them a try.[Poll]
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Disposables vs Cloth

• Options
    We're pretty set on our decision to use cloth. Big Smile
    Dee, Mommy to: Sofia, born 2/9/11, as well as three dogs, two cats and a multitude of chinchillas. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We were all set to use cloth and then just realized it would be impractical with both of us working full time and DS at a babysitter.  Not impossible by any means, just impractical for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DH is not very excited about it just yet but I am firm in my decision. My sister has been using them with my niece since she was born (she's now 13 months) and never had a problem. We actually sat down today and went to Jillian's drawers and made a registry with her suggestions on what I need to get started...since I do all the laundry I don't see why DH is so worried...besides I always have crazy ideas and he usually comes around :)
  • Options
    Although I love the idea of doing cloth because the thought of all these disposable diapers in landfills makes me sick, our child will be in daycare so we have to do disposable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagesarag0116:
    Although I love the idea of doing cloth because the thought of all these disposable diapers in landfills makes me sick, our child will be in daycare so we have to do disposable.

You could still do cloth at home couldn't you? I don't see any reason you couldn't do a combination.

We plan to cloth as soon as possible. The diapers we bought fit starting at 6 lbs. Obviously we don't know what size the girls will be when they arrive, so we will have disposables on hand in case their butts are really tiny at first.

We are actually pretty fortunate that the daycare we've talked to will let us bring cloth diapers.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Started cloth with my DS at 6 mo and with DD at birth so we will just slide right on it with cloth again for this one. My daycare providers are totally open to cloth since I used pockets for them. It's just as easy for them as a sposie diaper.
    Shareena Mom to Ethan 8.17.06 Lillian 9.25.08 Ewan 1.30.11 image
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic For all 3
  • Options

Cloth!  I'm so excited about it.  We have a local Cotton Babies store here, and my mom and I went there yesterday and made a registry.  I registered for a bunch of different kinds of pocket diapers and all-in-ones so we can see which ones we like best, and then finish off our stash.  My mom offered to get us a diaper service for the first 3 months, so that way we won't have to worry about the one-size diapers not fitting her. 

We aren't sure what level of childcare we're going to need--right now we're planning to switch off, and both of our moms have offered to fill in the gaps.  I haven't specifically asked around in my area, but from what I have read online a lot of daycares are willing to use pocket diapers or AIO's, which is part of why I'm not planning on buying any prefolds and wraps.  I'm just assuming it won't be a big deal.  The worst that can happen is she'll have to wear disposables for part of the day.

imageBabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I plan on doing the $10 trial thing at jilliansdrawers.com and seeing which work best for us.  Then, we'll stock up on what we like.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We are going with gDiapers - a hybrid.  They are disposable inserts in a cotton pant.  They are a bit more expensive than regular disposables, but they disintegrate in 150 days (or something like that) so they won't contribute to landfills, which is a big thing for us.  You can even compost them!
    Golly Gee! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are building our stash right now!  DH and I are both excited to cloth diaper :)
  • Options
    I would love to do cloth, but we rent.... and therefor we share one washer/dryer with three other apartments.  I can barely get my clothes done, there is no way we'd get the cloth diapers washed as often as we'd like.  Maybe for the next LO.
    ***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

• Options
    imagekdodge423:

imagenevjcu:
    We were all set to use cloth and then just realized it would be impractical with both of us working full time and DS at a babysitter.  Not impossible by any means, just impractical for us.

This ended up playing a huge role in our decision. We have to provide disposables for daycare, and that combined with the up front cost of cloth just seemed impractical for us as well to try to do both.

This exactly.  And the fact that I'm not 100% convinced that the water and energy used in washing cloth is better environmentally than the trash of disposables.  But, if I were going to be a SAHM, I think there's a good chance we'd try cloth.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"